Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven with platesetter for chili setup please?

Options
orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to try some chili on the large this weekend. Do you all put legs up or down, dutch oven directly on platesetter or put some sort of barrier between the two for browning, or what? I have both flat bottom and the ones with legs on them, which style is best to use for this? Thanks in advance all.

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    orion11,
    Legs up on the plate setter. Put the DO (the one without the legs) directly on the plate setter at about 350 degrees dome. You can lower the dome temp. down to 300-325 after everything starts simmering. I don't know what recipe you're going to use, but here is a pretty darn good one, if I say so myself :[p]Cow Lickin’ Chili[p]Ingredients :[p]Olive Oil
    1.5 lb. ground Chuck
    1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
    2 cups Onion (chopped)
    1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
    2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
    1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
    1 Tbs. Garlic (minced)
    1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 can Rotel
    2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
    3 Tbs. Chili Powder
    1 Tbs. Ancho Chile Powder
    1.5 Tbs. ground Cumin
    1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
    1 tsp. dried Oregano
    3 Tbs. DP Cow Lick Steak Rub
    2 cups Beef Broth
    1 cup Dry Red Wine
    2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
    Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
    Wood Chunks [p]Preparation:[p]Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up).
    Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil.
    Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon).
    Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.
    Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
    Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.
    Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.
    Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
    Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).
    Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300-325 degrees.
    Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

• orion11,
    Legs up, dutch oven on platesetter.[p]Rich

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    orion11,
    looks like I'm once again going to be the fish swimming in the opposite direction! While I agree with the legs up I happen to have both types of Lodge Dutch ovens like you. Personally I prefer using the "camp style" one with the three legs. Perhaps nuts in my rationale, but that way there's litle chance of burning on the bottom due to the more intense heat via direct contact with the setter. That also means less need to stir the contents meaning more stability of temp with the dome closed for longer times. Does that make sense? Oh well - it works for me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    orion11,[p] RRP is not alone. If I don't use my Camp Dutch Ovens I put the ceramic feet on the plate setter and the Dutch Oven on the ceramic feet.
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    egret,
    That is the chili I am going to try, it sounds great! Think I wll try the camp ovens for the first time, less stirring is always a good thing to me. Thanks all for your great information.

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Pardon my usual ignorance here, but ...
    Could you just put the grid on the inverted placesetter and get airflow under the flat-bottomed DO? Would this work?
    I certainly agree about the potential for scorching the bottom.[p]Thanks.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    omba,[p] yep.. I just don't like letting the little feet out of all the fun. :)[p] However consider this. Look at the feet on the camp dutch oven. They are there to accommodate the heat from the briquettes that are placed under the dutch oven. The feet for the egg just happen to be the same height and the heat radiating from the plate setter about the same as any briquettes placed under the camp dutch oven. The grate will put a lot more of a gap between the heat and dutch oven. Temp control above and below the Dutch Oven has to be consistent to get an even cook. Especially with items that have to be covered.