Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first turkey! I'll let you know how it turns out

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 13 lb bird coated with super buzzard rub ready to go on the Large Egg with plum wood chunks at around 275 degrees. I'm anticipating a 5 hour smoke- I bought a Polder and will pull the bird at about 170 breast temp. I am as excited as I've ever been about a cooking project.[p]I just wanted to thank everyone at the BGE forum for their great recipes, support and overall evangelism for the Egg. If my GF can get her digital camera working I will post some pics.[p]Updates will follow!

Comments

• Forgot to mention the bird was brined with kosher salt, apple cider, brown sugar, garlic and spices for 24 hrs prior to cooking. Woohoo! It's a beautiful day in Seattle and the grillin' is fine!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Skooter,
    Everyone can shoot his turkey with whatever calibur temperature he/she likes. I agree, your turkey will take at least 5 hours, maybe more at 275F, I usually run at 350F but it too depends on your setup situation.
    Let us know how your turkey flies! It's gonna be good no matter how late! Looking forward to the pics..!
    C~W[p]

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Skooter,
    don't be disappointed if the meat does not have a smokey flavor immedialtley after it is taken off. After a night in the fridge it may have the maximum smokey flavor.
    ST

• It took 5 hours on the nose. I felt I could have left it on longer but the Polder read 165 in the breast and the guests were getting antsy because it smelled soooo good. I pulled it an let it rest for 30 minutes. [p]End result: The best turkey I have ever tasted. Bar none. The plum smoke was subtle, but flavorful. The super buzzard spice paste was awesome. And the meat was juicier than I thought possible in a turkey. The whole 13 lb bird disappeared into 7 mouths quicker than anything I've cooked.[p]After the great meal I gave a demonstration of the EGG; 2 of my guests walked away convinced to buy Eggs for themselves.[p]Will BGE send me a commission? :)[p]Sorry, no pics. The camera had problems and the bird disappeared fast. But it was Beeeeautiful while it lasted!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Skooter, then let me be the first to congratulate, (maybe I'm not ?) Goeffs Super Buzzard is hard to top for a under the skin turkey paste.(and other fowl) You will find it gets even better down the road. Your temps and time is what threw me. How was the skin texture?
    C~W[p]