Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is BGE as Fast as Propane BBQ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are currently considering the purchase of a BGE. We BBQ on our propane Briol King BBQ about 4 times per week - even in winter. Our BBQ is in need of a replacement and the BGE may be it. We are concerned that the BGE may be too slow to prepare those hurry-up type meals that we want for afterwork. Propane grills give you pork chops and steaks in less than 30 minutes. Can BGE do this too? Are they slow to start and heat? [p]Please advise!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wendy Stewart,
    I work at home and grill a lot for lunch. I can get up from my desk, go light the egg, prepare a mustard paste for the boneless chicken breast, 15 minutes later the egg is ready to cook. Within 30 minutes of firing the egg, lunch is ready. [p]Same time frame with steaks, burgers, chops and fish.[p]Plus it tastes better than with a gas grill.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Wendy Stewart, IMHO..the answer is simple and direct. The ceramic material contains the heat, and moisture, and I can have 500F degrees in a small thru large BGE in 12 to 15 minutes depending on outside air temperatures. I am sure you can light a propane quicker with the snap of a button, but the heat retention of metal is quite poor. Try putting your hand (not recommended) on a metal cooker, vs a BGE at 500 (you can do it) and see the difference. That in itself doesn't answer your question, but only a viewpoint.[p]You will have more maintenance at times in cleaning ashes, but the main thing is to keep the charcoal free of ash build up.
    I can do a steak on a BGE in 9 minutes maximum for a example. Even at 20 below Zero.
    And once you taste a steak charcoal broiled, you will never go back to gas or propane.
    A ceramic cooker is meant to be a lifetime companion. Adopt a BGE and join the family and BTW...your welcome to the forum irregardless.
    Char-Woody[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, the only reason you beat me is cause I came in all tuckered out from lawn work and holding a hose to water in grass seed...:-)
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Tucker is my middle name right now. Been haggling with the cable company trying to get an email problem fixed. After 8 days and a dozen phone calls I finally got a techie who handled my problem in 3 seconds. I was ready to ditch them and go with DSL. Horrible, horrible service.[p]Then i got a bunch of work and 20 people coming for a 6 year old birthday party Sunday. Plus been building raised beds for our new up-and-coming veggie garden. Then more work. Then the Eggfest.!! The pot-o-gold![p]Hope your seed comes in well before the weeds!
    Cheerio
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wendy Stewart,[p]let's be honest - yes, it will take longer than a gas grill. But, the food will have something extra that gas does not give you -- TASTE. It takes about 20 min to go from start to 350 deg where you would do that in maybe 5 min. If you have the extra 15 min to spare, the Egg will give you very differnet results from what you're use to. If you like ribs, then its the only way you can do them (boiled ones on the Webber just stink!)at home, but they take 4 hrs. Vist the link below and look around the place - lots of pictures.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's Place[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Wendy Stewart,
    I'm relatively new to the BGE family but have cooked for years on Webbers and other smokers. I would never consider going to a propane BBQ because of taste. Sure, it's a bit more convenient but to me, I want flavor and you'll get more on charcoal. Not to mention, cared for, the BGE will last a lifetime and you won't make these decisions on what grill to buy next.

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Wendy Stewart,
    Everything said below is accurate. My take is as follows:
    If your requirement is the fastest possible time to cooking temp and how quickly you can grill a steak, don't buy a BGE.
    If your goal is to prepare the best steak you have ever had and you are willing to spend 5-10 more minutes in the process, and as a side benefit own a suberb smoker, your in the right place. My best friend visited me and told me that the ribs I made were the best he'd ever eaten. He also couldn't understand why I would waste time messing with charcoal! Go figure.[p]Chuck

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Wendy Stewart,[p]I bought a large egg about nine months ago. I enjoyed using it so much, I now have a small egg to compliment my large. The Small egg now has it's own seat on our jaunts to the lake. [p]I can have either egg up to 300-350 for general grilling in 15 minutes. IMHO, the extra 6 to 8 minutes to heat the egg for quick grilling of chops, brats, burgers, bs breasts, fish, steaks etc. is a small price to pay for food that is hands down far superior to any gas grill. And like the others said, using it as a smoker it also a treat. You will be able to start a brisket or butt late in the evening, get the temp stabilized and retire for the night while the egg maintains a steady temp. At smoking temps (210-250), the egg can cook 18-20 hours straight on one load of lump charcoal. Cooking a pork butt at these temps/times produces pulled pork that literally falls apart.[p]I must stop now, I'm making myself hungry.[p]Carl T
    [p]

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Wendy Stewart,
    I'm a new BGE user, 2 weeks today. Had gas & propane grills for the last 35 years, Webers, Broilmaster, Ducan, Falcon, etc. Even the expensive ones only lasted 3-4 years before needing expensive repairs or at times complete replacement.
    The Egg is the best grill choice I every made. The food is incredable. It is much easier to us than I had imagined. I us the electric starter and get to +500 degrees in about 15 min. If you want the best steaks, chops, etc. GET the BGE.
    Tonight is marinated pork tenderloins and they will be on the BGE w/n 15-20 minutes after I uncover & start to light the Egg.