Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey recipe?

Daryl
Daryl Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my first cook is going to be a turkey. It weighs 12.5lb and should be thawed by Sunday morning. I have searched for directions / recipe's for a whole turkey and find none. Anybody got any suggestions?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Daryl:[p]There are a couple of turkey suggestions in the recipe section. Look there again for some guidance.[p]For a basic turkey cook I would rub that turkey with olive oil, and sprinkle 50/50 with Lawry's and Obie-Cue's Fajita Seasoning (BGE should have it). You do not say if you are cooking with a turkey setter or laying on the grill. You can cook direct or with a drip pan (on a rack or setter). Allow about twenty minutes per pound and cook at about 325º for an internal of 160º/165º. Pull the bird and allow to rest in a pan covered with foil for a few minutes till the internal rises to 170º and serve.[p]It was a pleasure speaking with you today. I am certain you will enjoy your purchase and once you get the hang of ceramic cooking teach us all a thing or two. I forgot to mention a few butcher shops you may want to visit: Ferguson's Meat Market in Coal Mountain (north of Cumming). Northeast Meat Market at Oakgrove and La Vista, Wilkes Meat Market in Lilburn, Wayfield's in Tucker has some good pricing on pork butts and other items periodically, you also may want to become familiar with every ethnic market up and down Buford Highway and what they carry. For kicks there is Shields (www.agedbeef.com) in Decatur. [p]Regarding that 12" stone, swap it for an 18" hex or round . . .[p]
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Daryl,
    First of all, try brining the turkey if you have time. This has been discussed at length on the forum; check the archives. Basically, the turkey is submerged in a salt/sugar solution and refrigerated for about a day. Thoroughly wash and dry it before roasting. [p]I have good results with a poultry sitter, but a rack over a foil-lined pan does just fine. FWIW, I roast whole poultry indirect with the pan sitting on firebricks. This prevents the drippings from burning. I add broth to the drip pan and make sure the pan doesn't boil dry during roasting. If you do use a poultry sitter, place a small can filled with beer so the bird sits on it. Very moist results.[p]For seasoning, I crush garlic cloves (a few) and make them into a slushy paste with olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, and whatever herbs you like. I use Herbs de Provence (bought at T.J. Maxx) but any combo of herbs would work; try the Simon and Garfunkel combo (fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme). Loosen the breast skin without breaking it and rub the paste under the skin. Rub whatever paste is leftover on the skin.[p]Roast at about 350 or thereabouts, it should take you about 15 min/lb, indirect, racked. If you are careful to keep some liquid in the pan, you can make some great gravy with the drippings while the bird rests before carving.[p]I have had some very dark skin on occasion; this happens when I use a rub or sauce with sugar. Even if the skin's very dark, don't panic. The meat will be moist and taste great. Tent with foil if you're freakin' out.[p]Have fun! Once you do one, you'll never prepare poultry in your indoor oven again, I promise you. My oven's only used for desserts now![p]Let us know your results. Heck, I'm so hungry after typing this, I think I'll roast me a big ol' turkey on Sunday![p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Daryl,[p]The best tip that I can give you is to brine that turkey for at least 8 hours, longer if you can. Mix a cup of sugar and a cup of salt in a big pan of water. Bring it to a vigorous boil, turn off the heat and let the brine solution come back to room temperature. Put your turkey in a pot that is big enough to hold it and pour the brine over it until it is completely submerged. You may have to put a plate on the turkey to keep it underwater. Put the whole thing in the refrigerator and let the brine work its magic.[p]When you're ready to cook, pull the turkey out of the brine, and rinse it thoroughly. Season to your liking, or check out the Super Buzzard Turkey recipe in the recipe forum. It's a novel way to make your turkey self-basting. I've used this method on turkeys and chickens, varying the ingredients depending on the taste I wanted. Finally, relax. I'm willing to bet you'll get rave reviews.[p]Regards,[p]VFucci[p]
  • Daryl
    Daryl Posts: 27
    Gretl,[p]I'm grinnin, ear-to-ear after reading that! I got my Willies Turkey Sitter today so all I have to do is follow the directions you and others laid out here![p]Thanks,[p]Daryl