Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri tip steak

Options
piggy
piggy Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 1.5lb tri tip steak today and have no idea how long to cook it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    piggy,
    Season it to your liking. Get the dome temp stable at 350 and cook it directly on the grid. Hopefully you have a remote thermometer to monitor the internal temp. You will need to flip it every ten minutes or so and pull it at 125-130. Let it rest under a foil tent for at least ten minutes then slice it across the grain. -RP

• piggy
    piggy Posts: 4
    Options
    AZRP, thanks for the tip. I found some old post about tri tip and from what i'm reading it is a really under appriciated piece of meat.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    piggy,
    Yes it is, I cook them then cool and slice in an electric slicer, very thin, and make Italian beef sandwiches. -RP

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    piggy,
    Try This:
    Bob
    Santa Maria Tri-Tip (and All the Fixin's)[p] 2-3 lb. beef tri-tip roast or top sirloin[p] Rub tri-tip with Spice Rub and let stand 1-4 hours.[p] Use mesquite or oak chips on the grill. Grill over direct heat, medium-high. Brush on Basting Sauce as soon as you put it on the grill. Turn at least three times, basting every time. Grill 30-35 minutes, to 140 degrees F.[p] Slice thin, across the grain, and serve with warmed corn tortillas, a green salad, Salsa, and Pinquito Beans.[p] Spice Rub[p] 1 Tbl. fresh-ground black pepper
    2 tsp. granulated garlic
    1 tsp. granulated onion
    1-½ tsp. paprika
    ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. rosemary
    1 tsp. salt[p] Mix together and rub on meat. Let stand at 1-4 hours before grilling.[p]
    Basting Sauce[p] ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil[p] Drizzle oil slowly into vinegar, whisking rapidly. Brush on meat as soon as you put it
    on the grill.[p]
    Santa Maria-Style Salsa[p] 3 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
    ½ cup finely chopped celery
    ½ cup chopped green onions
    ½ chopped sweet onion
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ cup finely chopped California green chiles
    ½ cup snipped cilantro
    1 Tbl. red wine vinegar
    dash of Worcestershire sauce
    pinch of dried oregano, crushed
    few drops of hot pepper sauce[p] Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and let stand for one hour to blend flavors.
    Makes 3-½ cups.[p]
    Santa Maria-Style Pinquito Beans[p] 1 lb. small pink beans (Pinquitos) or pinto beans
    2 strips bacon, diced
    ½ cup diced ham
    ½ onion
    2-3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
    ¾ cup tomato puree
    ¼ cup red chili sauce
    1 Tbl. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. dry mustard[p] Pick over beans to remove dirt and small stones; cover with water and let soak overnight
    in a large container. Drain, cover with fresh water and simmer 2 hours, or until tender
    (pintos may need longer). Sauté bacon and ham until lightly browned; add to beans. Sauté
    onions in bacon grease until lightly browned. Add garlic and sauté a minute or two longer.
    Add tomato puree, chili sauce, sugar, mustard, and salt. Drain most of liquid off beans and
    stir in sauce. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.[p] [p] [p] Return to MaryMc's Cooking Stuff

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    piggy,[p]I'm a high heat person on these. I do them like a steak. I rub them down with whatever rub hits me that day, although my favorite is a pepper rub with equal parts pepper/kosher salt/turbinado/coffee. Get eggie up to about 600-700 or so and do a minute on one side, flip and do a minute on the other side. Then close her down and finish off to maybe 130-135. I like em rare. Ooooooh those are good. Make sure if you use any of the rubs with sugar (which include some of the dizzy piggys, you have some distance to the coals. I do them direct in a small on a grate mate or on a raised grid on a large.[p]mShark
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]The last ones I did very similar to your method. That is, rubbed with olive oil and a little garlic powder, then shook on some DP Raising The Steaks. Let set for an hour or so at room temp. Then seared (650 F+)on the mini for 60 - 90 seconds each side. Moved over to the XL at 325F. Used a little oak on the lump. I flipped them whenever a pool of fat accumulated on the top. Pulled at 155 - 160F (my family does not like even medium). Foiled and rested 20 minutes. They were very tender and retained plenty of juices. They were about 2 1/2 lbs each.[p]Now that our store has finally starting stocking them, they can hardly keep the tri-tips in stock. They stocked about 25 Sat and on Sunday morning 3 were left which I bought. The butcher is still not allowed to order tri-tips as the code is not in the computer. He orders the tri-tips from a cooperating supplier and computer labels them as Choice Boneless Beef Sirloin Steak and then hand writes Tri Tip across the label.