Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What happened with my last pork butt?

Options
PJ St. Fern
PJ St. Fern Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked an eight pound pork butt over the weekend. In the egg approx 18 hours at a dome temp of 220 to 250. I took it out of the egg when the internal temp hit 186-187, because people were getting really hungry. Although the taste was wonderful, the consistancy of the meat was closer to roast pork than "pulled pork". I didn't wrap and keep the butt in a (warm) cooler like I usually have done in the past. Was it this or something else that kept the pork from being hand-pullable? Always trying to learn from each and every cook. . . [p]Thanks,[p]PJ

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,
    quite simply you didn't let it cook long enough to be pullable .. . should have kept it in till it hit 195 - 200 internal temp, and the bone was loose enough to pull out with no resistance. ...nothing wrong with sliced pork butt though....and yep, you simply had good roast pork. . .

• egghead2004
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,
    It souns like because you pulled it off at 186 internal, you may not have fully gotten to the pulled stage. I think 195 - 200 is where you need to be to get the falling apart pulled pork.[p]That's all I can think of, lets see what others have to say

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,[p]Probably just needed to go a little longer to reach temp closer to 200. I got some great advice here a couple of weeks ago that mid 180's is good temperature for sliced BBQ, rather than pulled pork. That's probably what you had. Good, though, huh?[p]Dave

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,
    Timing sounds good, if anything a little short. Next time start around 2 hours earlier; that way if you reach 200 "early" you can wrap and hold the butt before pulling.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,[p] Adding to what Max said 220 dome will give you 190-200 at the grate. If your thermometer is off that gap could be greater. I'd keep the dome at 250 and that will get you up to a grate temp of around 220. [p] Next time make some ABT's too keep your guest from getting too hungry while they wait for the main course.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,
    i've had it pull semi-ok as low as 185. not as easily, but not like sliced ham.[p]still, it just wasn't done enough in your case. they're all a bit different.
    as max said, aim for 190-195.[p]...though it is odd because you are thru the plateau at that point anyway.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,
    I usually pull the Butt between 190-195 wrap it in foil and let it rest about 45-60 minutes before pulling it. Last time I did one it the pork pulled effortlessly. The moisture goes back into the meat. Funny thing is my timing is bad too. I put mine on at 10 am Sat and took it off 1:20 am Sunday morning. Good thing about it is I didn't have a hungry crowd around. However, that cook has given me the itch to buy a small BGE :=). So I can grill some steaks... and go low and slow too. Hopefully, the Mrs's will let me get one this summer. [p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Yeah, it sounds like I pulled the pig off the fire a little too soon. Still, the best damn pork roast I've ever had. . . [p]PJ
  • Pharmeggist,[p]Sounds like everyone nailed it on the head. Took Mr. Pork off of the fire a little too soon. In the past, I've usually gone for 195+/- along with a good rest to let the juices set. Still, thanks to Nature Boy and cherry smoking wood, the best roast pork I've ever tasted. The egg is SO forgiving that it really is hard to ruin a meal!
    As usual, thanks for all the advice. . . [p]PJ St. Fern

• Scribs
    Scribs Posts: 27
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,[p]Also,if you do have hungry guest don't be afraid to bump it up to 300 or so to get to the 195 range a little quicker. Won't hurt a thing.[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,
    like scrib says, you can crank up the heat toward the end to cook it faster. i start at higher temps and end at higher temps and it doesnt seem to hurt anything with pulled pork. 140 to about 180 i cook about 225 to 250, before and after that i cook 275-300 for a faster cook. the higher temp builds bark

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,[p]How long do you hold higher temp before and after or do you go by meat temp?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    MikeM,
    i just go by meat temp. below 140 and above 180 til done at higher temps. it quickens the cook time and doesnt seem to effect the pull.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it