Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Overnight question

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking an 8.1/2 lb picnic shoulder overnight- at 275 dome pretty much all night, grid varied between 225 and 205. Woke up and after 12 hours the meat is at 155.[p]Is this ok? I didn't know if it should've hit 160's by now.[p]Thanks

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Flashback Bob, relax you are fine. T

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I agree with Sandbagger....you're doing fine.....It'll be done...when it's done....that's the way it is.....When it gets to 170 of so....You can foil it....and go from there....You're doing great!!!....No worries......[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Michael B
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Cook the meat, not the clock. ;-)
    Every piece of meat is different. You're doing fine.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Thanks guys-[p]It's just been so easy, and I read about people obsessing over (what appear to me to be) details-just wanted to make sure. Also, this is my first cook with my new maverick ET-73 and being able to read the grid temp is making me more obsessive. but I slept well last night.[p]It seems that it spent most of it's time in the 150's and is now climbing again. 160 to 170 in about 1 to 1.1/2 hours when I thought it would take hours and hours.[p]Thanks again for the validation, will try to post pic's later.
    Bob

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    that's great, bob.[p]nice when the first one goes smooth.
    did you check at all during the night or did you trust in BGE?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p] Dayum man take a valium and enjoy the pork HAHAHA[p]Most of us wish our first Lo'n'Slo went as smooth as yours is..[p] I'll be there at 6PM.
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    stike,
    I slept well but did awake at 4:30 dreaming of hickory smoke.[p]So I went down and checked the egg - although the dome temp was holding at about 260, the grid temp was a down to about 200. So I wanted to make sure the fire was still going and hadn't just died. Taking your advice, I went out and poked thru the bottom vent to clear holes in the grate above. (I fashioned a wiggle rod out of a wire coathanger) Some ash and embers fell thru so I knew the fire was still going. I went back to bed until 7 or 7:30.[p]Its now almost noon and the temp is closing in on 195, at which point I think I'll pull it, foil it and "cooler" it.[p]The back porch (where the Egg is working) smells really good. there doesn't seem to be any more smoke right now but you can still smell it everywhere. Probably because its on my jacket. last night when I got out of the shower, I noticed it was still on me- in my moustache. Easy to fix if you want to

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    that's great man. glad a cook finally went right for you on your first try![p]swing by with a plate for me![p]...hope the family likes it, there are few things better than that pulled pork

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beachbum
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Just like a baby... it's cooked when it's cooked.. lol[p]It'll be fine... Let us know how great it is later today![p]Lisa