Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butts

Options
Jim R.
Jim R. Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last four butts have been done in record time,today was a 10 lb
cooked at 240 dome and was at 200 in thirteen hours.Checked thermometer it was OK.Anyone else seeing this?Thanks

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Jim R.,
    How did you do the cook?You will win a gold medal for the time factor.

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Options
    darnoc,Just a standard indirect but what bothers me I have been doing this for Five years or so and this quick cook has just started,remember when the were called "Turbo Butts"Using a large with
    double pans for deflection,still had same results with a placesetter.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Jim R.,
    I have done a 4/6 pounder in that time frame,but not a 10 pound hunk of pork.Will give it a try.

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    if the meat was enhanced, then it will cook faster. check your package if it says anything about addatives.
    they started doing this recently :(
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    There's no science as far as time goes...Any piece of meat that you cook on the BGE....is different....no two alike as far as fat content...connective tissue issues...and the like...Depends on temps and set-ups.....I cook Butts on a routine basis...at 250 - 275 dome...no problems....[p]Done when they're done when they're done.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL