Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing rib roast cooking temperature

Options
KevinH
KevinH Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to cook my first standing rib roast (aka "prime rib") tomorrow, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the best time and temp.[p]A lot of recipes recommend cooking in the 350-375 degree range for around 18-20 minutes per pound. A different school of thought is to slow roast at 225-250 dome temp for a much longer time to get more even medium rare throughout the roast.[p]Can anybody offer some advice on the pro's and con's of each method? I am used to cooking tougher cuts of meat longer and slower and more tender cuts at higer temps (to avoid dyring them out). The standing rib roast seems to defy the rules (maybe).[p]Also, I didn't ask the butcher to cut the bones off the roast and tie it, so I have the whole bone-in roast in my fridge. Should I remove the bones and tie them back on myself before cooking, or shoould I wait to carve the bones from the roast after it's done?[p]Thanks for your advice,
Kevin

Comments

• KevinH,
    About the only way you can really screw it up is to over cook
    it. It's a pretty forgiving piece of meat and the cooking temp
    is up to you. Monitor the internal temp of the meat. I cook a
    17 pound PR to approx 118 deg., wrap in foil and towels and
    put in a cooler for an hour or so. The temp rises another
    8 - 10 deg. This gives me a medium rare in the ends and a
    rare in the center which is what we like. If you have a smaller
    roast, you may have to take it to a little higher temp.
    It depends on what you and your guests like. As for the
    bones on / off - I take the ribs and separate them from
    the roast and let them cook for another hour or two. I
    found that folks like the rib bones as much as the roast.[p]Another Kevin[p]

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    roesmarysmokedribroast-1.jpg?t=1171078173
    <p />KevinH,[p]I'm in the 225-250 club for the reason you point out. Plus the rest gives you buffer time for serving. I save the bones for another meal and hide them from the guests!

• EGGOMANIAC
    Options
    KevinH,[p]Definitely leave the bone(s) in. Slow roast at 225 (250 dome) for 18 mins per pound to be on the safe side of med rare. It will go up about +- 7 degrees once you take it off and tent it. [p]The higher heat method at those temps will overdo it. You can sear first ala trex but ya need to monitor temp on the second "roast" closely.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    KevinH,
    well, i'll go ahead and provide the counter position here :-)[p]i prefer the sear and roast at 325 method ....been doing it for years, love the results, and don't see any reason to change. . .14- 15 minutes per pound will get you very accurate medium rare results. .. [p]really, like the others said, the only way to screw it up either way is to overcook it .. .which ever way you choose, you'll enjoy!![p]

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    KevinH,[p]Did this one the other night (single bone Standing rib roast). I seared the outside first, then let it "roast" at about 350 for a good 7-15 minutes. Pulled it off the egg at 135 degrees. Mmmmm, good eattin'.[p]Smokey[p]P1010014.jpg
    P1010015.jpg?t=1170776777

• Metalhead
    Options
    Smokey,
    was that post of that beautiful meat necessary? I have not eaten or had my morning coffee and I gotta see this?[p]Are you trying to kill me?[p]Man that meat looks great!!!!!!!!!!1

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    79420bb1.jpg
    <p />BabyBoomBBQ ,[p]Same here .... Indirect I go around 250° at the grate but I've done the last few direct with a very raised grate. I even was able to drop the grate temp to 220°. I just love the smells of the fats dripping into the coals. This picture is about 2 or 2-1/2 hours into the cook.[p]63f24b9f.jpg[p]~thirdeye~ icefishin.gif[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Metalhead,[p]Sorry about that!!! But man was it goooooood! [p]I'll be doing more of them! What you got cookin' this weekend?[p]Smokey
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Metalhead,
    you should be ashamed. it's 9:30 here.[p]you know how long i need to wait before i can cook something to scratch that itch?[p]great.
    looks beautiful, but that's not cool! [p]next somebody'll post a pic of the view out their balcony on to the nice sunny beach, while i'm here freezing in my wool socks and thermals....[p]me so funny.
    seriously, though, i think i know what i'm having for dinner! thanks boss.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Does any one smoke prime rib with hickory?[p]I have 65 lbs. (4 racks) of prime rib to cook Sunday am for my Church Valentine Luncheon. I better get this one right. I'm going to use my 1970s Pig Cooker on this one.[p]DJ
  • Metalhead
    Options
    Smokey,
    I'm thinking scallops wrapped in bacon[p]maybe give ABT's another try[p]maybe try some brownies

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Herfnwolf,[p] Hickory is good...[p] You need the power of Humpty for that baby.. Come up Henderson way and help me get him off the porch. Promise me you'll treat him better then your own kin and I'll let you use him.[p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Herfnwolf,
    might toss some in.... hickory is my absolute favorite wood. but don't 'smoke' the beef, so much as add a little smoke.[p]that is, unless your crowd loves BBQ. [p]but if the beef is prime, you'll have a lot of great beef fat flavor, i would dial back atiny bit on the smoke. i'd add it, but not necessarily continuously smoking throughout the cook

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Lovely roast!
  • yo max!
    i'm doing a 4 bone prime rib today and i noticed a typo on your recipe there...
    in the preparation section it says "tied it with butcher spring" and i think that should be butcher string. my butcher didn't give me the fat cap so i reckon that part won't matter for me![p]