Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Brine.

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can`t remember who it was, Painter maybe, that posted a while back a simple yet effective turkey brine......well, I`m in need of that again if you can.......or was it RRP???? I dunno........[p]Mop!

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mop,[p]I'm not sure of the one you are asking for, but a good, all 'round brine is 1 C kosher salt, 1 C brown sugar, and 1 G water.[p]Spin

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Spin,..good enough for the girls I go with........thanks!!![p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spin, on the money..add 2 or 3 cloves of crushed garlic, and a few bay leaves..for da basics. I made the Turkey drums with that and added 3/4 cup of Mortons Tenderquick and I had rose colored ham turkey drums..worked great.
    Cheers to ya all..C~W[p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options

eful the girls you go with might see your post. LOL[p][p][p][p][p]
    Mop, Careful one of those girls might be reading your posts.LOL. I'm brining a turkey right now. I usually make a vegetable broth of onions, celery black pepercorns,sage, rosemary,and a few whole allspice and use that as a brine. It gives a good flavor. Salt and sugar ratio is the same as Spin just gave you, just figure the broth as part of your total liquid equation. I usually make two gallons to do a whole turkey. (13 lbs.)
    Have a good weekend[p][p][p][p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Char- Woodys on the money also. Bay leaves a must, garlic nice also
    Painter

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Painter, someday I am gonna rip this enter key off the keyboard and put in a foot switch..:-)
    I think I learned the basic from Cat or Brant, and as you have done, change up as your taste buds require. The salt is the necessity, and drags the rest of the seasonings along with it into the fibers of the meats. Just don't do it in a old rubber boot...Heeeeyaaa.
    Cheers atcha..
    C~W

• Painter, that brine recipe is probably one of the best i ever tried. i also use it on pork loins and capons. reg

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Painter,[p]Taking in everything you said about brining and the others is this a good recipe? [p]Make a broth of:[p]2 G water
    2 C kosher salt
    2 C brown sugar
    Onions
    Celery
    Black Peppercorns
    Sage
    Rosemary
    Few whole allspice
    Several bay leaves
    4 or 6 cloves of crushed garlic[p]Makes two gallons to accomodate a whole turkey. (13 lbs.)[p]Thanks,[p]ColoradoCook