Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stray coals on table

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have my large egg set in a nice table as per blueprints found here.
I noticed last night a couple of small burn marks where a small piece of coal had landed. Then while waiting for the egg to come to steak-searing temp, I saw small piece come out of the bottom vent.
Any of you have this problem? What's best to prevent this from happening again?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Shelby, yuppers, that do happen and if you have a wooden deck you can put a thin fireproof pad down. Sold in the Lowes home improvement center for grills and round outdoor fireplaces. KennyG has them, as well as others. directly under the vent door opening, I use a round used pie tin or similar that will slide just under the BGE bottom and fill it with sand or pea rock. Or custom bend a piece of aluminum or copper flashing for a pan. This will help...[p]Leaving a small amount of ash on the ash pit floor will act as a shock obsorber and takes the bounce out of the spark as it hits the bottom. That also helps to retain the hot embers.
    Good qusstion and work posting..
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W[p]

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Shelby,[p] It does happen occasionally. Lowe's (and probably other places) has a fireproof mat you can buy that will keep the coals from getting to the table. However, you want to keep the mat out of the rain (or the table covered). One user reported here that the mat rusted (apparently it contains some metal) when exposed to the elements, staining the table!
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    MikeO, I remember that..Good point..There is a chemical in the matt that reacts to redwood and cedar and causes a darkening of the wood. So apparently they use a cement type oxident in the material. Whatever it is does the same thing as a non galvanized nail in cedar and redwood. Bad reaction.
    On treated pine...no problem.
    C~W[p]

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Shelby,[p]My table looks like it's 10 years old and it's about 8 mo.
    I must just be a sloppy cooker. I am constantly dropping stuff on my table. Coals, bbq sauce and all kinds of things.
    It's gettin to be just like a worn in saddle. Perfect. [p]Shelby, remember it's an outdoor cooking table and it's gonna get worn.[p]Maybe KennyG could give you some advice on what to do. His cooking area looks sterile. :>)[p]Mick

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Shelby,[p]I toss a glass of water on the deck wood under the Egg when I lite Humptey (which I do from under the grate).[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Tim M, :-)....sometimes the simple way is the least obvious. Good idea.
    C~W

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Shelby,
    One of my friends actually burnt a big hole in his table from the same thing...he apparently didnt notice it before going to bed...had to replace a bunch of the boards on the table...his words of warning...."Watch them sparks"[p]Wess

• Shelby,[p]Lots of good suggestions in this thread abot preventing deck and table fires. As an additional warning, I would caution that the spark flying phenomenon can happen not only at steak searing temps but also lower temps. For example, I have noticed that if cooking in the 300-400F range with the dome closed for a while (20 minutes or more), I am not so cautious about opening the dome as I am when searing steaks. The rush of airflow can cause embers to be spit out the vent below. SO watch out at high temps, but don't ignore the medium temps either.[p]Regards,
    E1

• Shelby
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    I understand that, just don't want it to catch fire when I'm not looking!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Tim M,
    Do you remove all of the old lump from the egg in order to start your fire under the grate????? If so, do you have a small amount of lump also under the grate?????? Or do you just use a fire starter cube under the grate with the lump on top????
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Shelby,[p]I've got my egg sitting on a concrete paver from Lowe's. When I upgraded to the cast iron trivet grate I noticed a significant increase in hot shooters coming out the bottom vent. Now I've got a couple of firebricks in front of the vent so the shooters can ricochet onto the concrete, not the table. It's not very elegant, but it works. [p]OctoberGlory

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    I plan on building a table from the plans from this site as well. I'm considering the use of tile for the top, easier to clean, ember proof and ages well. It appears that I should tile the bottom shelf as well. Has anyone tiled their tables?[p]ColoradoCook
  • Shelby
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    Yes, I have tiles on the top. Actually leftovers from a friends bathroom and the green is almost a perfect match to the EGG itself! I didn't think to tile the bottom and think it would be a bit overkill. I am now thinking of getting a stainless steel sheet to fit under the egg. For time being, I've placed the ceramic top that comes with the Egg right where the "shooters" have come out. That'll do for the time being.
    One thing...you'll need to adjust the level of the table height to account for the thickness of the tile.