Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much pork loin?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is a good way to figure how much pork loin I will need for a party? Probably 18-20 people. I've got 9.39LBS will that be enough?[p]Thanks [p]TNJake

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    TNJake,
    Here is a link to The Naked Whiz's site that has a calculation for pulled pork that should get you in the ball park. Assuming you are talking about a boneless loin, you will probably not lose nearly the 40% of weight when you cook, but that could be a conservative number and your 9.4 pounds would not be enough. Even if you go down to 20% loss (assuming half the group is men), you would be right on the edge.

[ul][li]TNW -- calculating quantity of meat needed[/ul]
  • Essex County
    Options
    TNJake,
    You're talking about approximately a half pound of roast pork loin per person. That should be plenty assuming you are serving other stuff.[p]Paul

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    I find that people tend to eat more food when it is cooked on the egg so I would plan on more pork. I feel it is better to have 2 # too much than 2 oz. short. Just my .02. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    webergrids0001.jpg
    <p />TNJake, if you are talking pork tenderloin, then I'd think similar to steaks: 6-10 ounces per female, 10-14 ounces per male. If you are talking pork loin, similar to boned pork chops, then I'd consider one chop per female, 1.5-2 chops per male with the chops/cuts 1/2" thick. [p]On tenderloins, I use two skewers (one one on each end) to evenly form them. Plus, you can cut the tenderloins on a bias to make it look like more meat.[p]Without the benefit of coffee, this is what I'm thinking ...T[p]

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Pork loin doesn't lose much weight during the cook....as it's lean....and that's a great thing.....Count on 4 - 6 ounces for each female guest....8 - 12 ounces for each male guest.....And think about your audience....Are they lumberjacks?.....Or church social?....Cook to your audience...[p]Good luck...[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Essex County,
    whereya been essexco?[p]good time. great dinner and conv.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Essex County
    Options
    stike,
    been busy with work. Still checking the board and generally lurking. Hmm. Is it possible to get lurkers to post? I'm starting a new thread.[p]Paul