Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm still reeling from the news about Bill, and was hesitant to post anything about BBQ. Then I thought that Bill would want us to get on with the Q talk.[p]I am cooking babybacks tonight. I have done them once, just after getting my egg, but have been doing spare ribs since then. Thus my knowledge on producing the best, most tender babybacks, is extremely limited! I was thinking of going with Cat's method of dome temp 250, direct in a rib rack, but am open to suggestions here. [p]How do y'all get the most tender, moist babybacks? Indirect? Direct? Temps? Times?[p]Thanks in advance.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    Rub them, Roll them and Stand them up for 3 hours at 225. Use your small egg. I first let the egg get to about 150, then I throw on the soaked wood chunk and the ribs. Next close the daisy wheel all the way and open the bottom vent up all the way. It may take an hour or so but the temp to get to 225. Once the dome temp gets there, then start the 3-hour timer. No matter what you do, do not open the dome until the bell rings and you take the ribs off of the grill. I have used both EW’s and JJ’s rubs with great success by this method. You will only want sauce at the table, if at all.[p]Still Sad,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Ed G.
    Ed G. Posts: 24
    Nature Boy,
    Your right on! Bill would want us to continue to talk about "Qin" with the Big Green one! [p]Speaking of ribs, I read your post (I think it was your post?) a few weeks ago on freezing your ribs after applying the dry rub. I tried that method and it worked as well as the traditional method. I applied the rub and froze the B-Backs for two weeks. Very flavorful! But since I'm such a traditionalist, I think I'll stay with the 12-24 hour method.[p]"Q" on...

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,
    I still think the tenderest,juciest ribs are done over the firebricks or ceramic at 350-375 for 2.5-3 hr. Mustard rub and JJs rub over it all. [p]
    Tim

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks. I guess I can't roll them, cuz I already cut the slab in half. Otherwise, I should be able to follow your advice closely. I'll go with the rack, and see what happens. No peeky. I have been cooking more on the small, and learning about the differences between Junior and Humpty Senior (which IMO are substantial). So using the small is perfect. Temps/times sound great.[p]Thanks also for the advice on rubbing them. I was gonna do Cat's recipe again, but decided on a marinade of rice wine, soy, sesame oil, turbinado sugar, garlic powder, a tad of lemongrass, and pepper. I also chucked a little of this chinese black pepper sauce in for good measure. Been marinating since noon. Will finish up the last 2 hours at room temp. Wow, better run and pull them out of the fridge.[p]We'll see what happens. Thanks again.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    Thanks. I have also found that to be the case with spare ribs. I have another slab of those babybacks in the freezer. I think you have inspired me to do an experiment. I will try them 225 direct in a rib rack tonight. Next week, I'll go with the high temp indirect method, and see what happens.[p]I think since my wife doesn't like them real smoky, indirect might be better. But I guess half the fun is experimenting.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Ed G.,
    Yeah that was my post.
    I tend to like doing it the traditional way each time, but if you have a recipe you cook a lot, and have a huge pack of meat, the marinate/rub-freeze method saves time and yields great results. At least on pork and beef. I am still experimenting with chicken.[p]Q. What we do.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    You could still stand them up by placing the two halves parallel and the running about four bamboo skewers through them. It may actually work better with this method, but I think that is theory behind a rib rack.[p]Good Luck,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Similar theory I suppose. They stand up on their sides, but there is a bit of a slant to the slots. I guess I would slide them in so the bone side is facing slightly downward.[p]Gettin close to ignition time.
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]My experience with four racks of ribs flat on the grid turned every thirty minutes:[p]Falling off the bone moist, not as full flavored: 3 1/2 hours, indirect, 200*[p]Falling off the bone not quite as moist but much more flavorful: 3 1/2 hours, direct, 200*[p]Let us know what you do and how it comes out . . .[p]

• Ed G.
    Ed G. Posts: 24
    Nature Boy,
    I forgot to mention the ribs your smoking in my last post to your. I have smoked a lot of baby backs that I purchase from Costco. Their meat is choice cut and one step up from what the gro. stores usually have.[p]Anyway, I use the direct method almost exactly to what Tim M. has on this site. I use a rib rack directly on the grill using half hickory and pecan, at 210F not higher than 230 for around 5.5 hours. Nature Boy they really turn out GREAT! I turn them every 45 minutes spraying them a little with half salad oil and apple juice mix. Once the fat starts to break down (about 3.5 hours into the smoke) and they start to get that nice sheen, I not long have to spray them.[p]The last hour I lay the ribs on the grill to finish them off with my finishing sauce. The meat falls off the bone. Please post how you liked the direct method vs. indirect.

• Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    They are on now. I bounced around everyones' ideas (or the ideas were bouncing around in my head). I finally, at the spur of the moment, decided to do them indirect, at 350. Tim mentioned it, and I remembered these spare ribs I made at 400 indirect that were superb. Also, Lan is not big into a heavy smoke flavor, and the higher burning temps yield less smoke.[p]I tried something else new. The marinade I used was slightly thick in consistency, so when I laid the ribs on the rack (over the drip pan bone side down) I drizzled mustard all over the top, and smeared it around to mix with the marinade on top (leaving a thick coating on top). Closed up the lid and they have been cruising along for an hour now starting at 325, and now at 350. Smells wonderful. I am hoping a nice crust forms. It might reduce smoke penetration, but since the missuz is getting tired of the smoke taste, all the better.[p]I will let you know what happens.[p]You mentioned doing them at 200 indirect. I was curious if it is a typo, or can you actually cook them well at 200 with no benefit from the direct coals??? [p]Cheers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    Nature Boy:[p]I understand what you mean regarding smoke. I never (OK, rarely) smoke my ribs. The flavor I spoke of in my previous post was that from naturally cooking over charcoal.[p]I do lightly smoke my butts. When pulled and mixed the flavor is great.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, I usually do at about 250 indirect for about 5.5 hours - results are always tender, juicy and falling off the bone.

[ul][li]Gfw's Ribs[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    Nature Boy:[p]Indirect for me would be a 16" pizza stone suspended four inches below the main grill with a low profile drip pan on top of it. The meat placed on the grill and cooked at 200*. Moist and tender, just not as flavorful as if done without the pizza stone.
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Nature Boy,
    Don't know if this is to your schedule but, sometimes on Sunday's I cook breakfast on the grill then allow the temp to fall to around 180-200. I might also add that I use a limited amount of charcoal so it burn's out. Then put the ribs on and leave for the day, upon my return that evening there falling off the bone and usually still good and warm if not hot. Also this is the indirect method.
    Mark

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,
    I don't think there should be a difference in direct vs indirect as far as the amount of smokey taste. You will get less smoke at 350 deg than at 220 but don't add any wood at all and you will have very little smokey flavor-even at 220 direct. [p]Do both racks the same and do one at 350 and one direct at 220. I like both ways but they are different. I am curious which you will like -- no oyster sauce though. hehehe[p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Mark,
    I must not be understanding you. You put the ribs on a dying fire at 180-200?? Or do you reduce temps after breakfast, and get a low slow fire going, and let the ribs cook the whole day?[p]I am assuming you work 8 hours or so?? [p]I am interested in your technique, but would like some more details. [p]Thanks.
    Nature Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy & Mark;[p]I'd love the details too! I have yet to try ribs -- I know, something is the matter with me. I have attempted steak, chicken, Butt, pork tenderloin, veggies and 'taters. So far, everything has been great, expect for when I overcook b/c I'm too busy talking and drinking instead of cooking.[p]cultist,[p]Bama Fire

• Mark
    Nature Boy,
    Reduced temp. after breakfast and let it burn out over a six to eight hour period. I'm an early riser so breakfast is mostly on me on weekend's, thick cut bacon and sausage are great cooked on the Egg at about 300. It also serves as a good way to heat it up for long term cooking. After breakfast just close the dampers to slit's put your ribs on and leave. I might add this is the indirect cooking method. The only real trick is the amount of charcoal used, I load it maybe 1/2 full, this may take some experimenting.
    Mark

• Nature Boy
    Mark,
    You say it is the indirect method. What do you use for a heat deflector??? Ceramic?? Drip Pan??? [p]What is the dome temp when you return home??[p]I am intrigued by your method of letting the egg cook low/slow while slowly coming down from 300 (while you are at work).

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mark
    Nature Boy,
    Don't know if you remember but I discribe my indirect method some time ago as "Better than fire brick" we communicated about it several times.
    The dome temp. upon my return is somewhere around the low 100's, mostly depending on how much of the coals are left, if any.
    I fly model airplanes and let them cook while at the flying field.
    Will try this weekend to make a drawing of the set up I use for indirect cooking, it's amazingly simple. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
    Mark

• Nature Boy
    Mark,
    I eagerly await your pictures.
    I have some buddies who fly those model planes.[p]Thanks for offering to show those thousands of word pictures.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com