Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reason for putting in cooler for a couple of hours

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Most of the cooks I read about suggest that wrapp the meat up and put in a cooler for a couple of hours. How is the meat being effected by putting it in a cooler for a while?

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Pdub,
    I assume you are talking about brisket and pulled pork. It allows the meat juices to redistribute throughout the meat. This will make a moister product. Good luck, Tom

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    I don’t know the technical terms for the process but what happens is the meat completes the cooking process. Wrapping it also “softens” the cut of meat i.e. making it as tender as a roast without adding the “rostie” effect of being mushy. It also is a great way to prepare your main course ahead of time and do the appetizer real-time.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Pdub,
    From my expereince with pulled pork, I like to leave the remote thermometer in the meat so I can monitor it while it is wrapped in the cooler, SLOWLY cooling down to about 170-175. That takes about 2 hours depending on how insulated the cooler is. It seems if I unwrap and pull the meat at above 180, the moisture tends to evaperate quickly while pulling the pork apart, makes the meat dry. There may be other factors too, this is just what I have seen.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Pdub, It's hard to know, exactly, when a large piece of meat will be done. It will keep cooking for a bit after you remove it from the BGE. Putting it in a cooler will keep it warm until you are ready to serve it. JCA