Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hinges

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have a large and as many of you have seen i need to replace my gasket i have dope this before and when i did i replaced the hinge. so when doing all this i took the egg dome off so i could scrape all the old gasket off here is my questions.
1 i seen someone say there was something to spray on the egg to make the old adhesive off (if you remember) this let me know what it is
2 if i dissasemble the egg again i dont think it will go back together as easily as last time because the springs will be under pressure and i lost the little white plastic brackets that the hinge was shipped with. so does anyone know where i can get them maybe this is a question for the mothership.[p]
thanks for ya'll's help i will not be around the forum for a few hours maybe 3 o'clock before i get back from the auto auction in charlotte. well i guess it's time to go[p]
thanks again
tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    i use a paint scraper to remove the gasket & then applied paint thinners with a cloth until all the glue, creosote & gunk comes off and the cloth remains clean.
    let it dry 30min & then apply your gasket or glue (i like from NAPA: Permatex Ultra Copper 600F silicone glue & Cotronic ceramic woven gasket
    1500F)
    i don't have this type hinge, but on my old style lever release, i am able to remove the 2 bolts that are the hinges and leave the steel rings on the top/bottom in place
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    BENTE,
    I used Goof-Off with pretty good success, but I felt as if it left a good bit of goo on the edge. The ceramic also soaked up the solvent, so I burned the edge with my MAPP torch and tried to burn that away. Actually, it may have been some soaked-in grease I was burning away, too. I replaced my gasket with Cotronics ceramic tape, and so far I love it. If I have to replace my gasket again, I'm going the scrape/ 3M paint remover wheel route.
    As for the little plastic thingies, you can use heavy-duty plastic cable ties to good effect. I did that last time, too.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Goof Off has worked well for me to remove the factory gasket. Just soak/dowse the gasket and let set for about a minute and it should lift right off. There will be a sticky glue residue left which can be removed by more Goof Off and scrubbing or even burning it off with a torch.[p]Lighter fluid may work also.[p]Toy Man
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BENTE,[p] I took Humpty's toasted gasket off with a MAPP torch and a putty knife. [p] As for the Springs I'll defer that to someone who has them.Putting the Spring Assist on Humpty is what toasted my gasket.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    BENTE,
    You don't need those plastic retainers. Here is the method I use when doing this :
    Loosen the band on the top and remove the dome. Let the band open up, as in the dome open position, so you can have better access to the bottom gasket. Scrape the bottom gasket off with a putty knife or wood chisel. Clean as well as you can with alcohol (denatured, or rubbing) and remove as much as the old adhesive as you can by scraping and rubbing with the chisel and paper towels (I've never tried the MAPP torch or the Goof Off, but may be worth a try). Place the lid on the base in the inverted position and repeat the above instructions for removing the base gasket. Cut the new (replacement) gasket in two equal halves and apply one half to the lid, remove the lid and set aside. Apply the other half of the gasket to the base. Put the top band in the closed position at this point being very careful to apply the pressure on the hinge only and NOT on the band itself else it may bend. Put the lid in place, adjust the bands as you did in the original assembly, and tighten the band bolts. Don't cook on it for 24 hours minimum and you're good to go......
    Any excess gasket material you have can be applied to the inside of your ceramic top for a better seal!

• BENTE
    Options
    uncbbq,
    haven't bought a mapp tourch yet but here is my excuse. the plastic ties i already have
    thanks for your help
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    Toy Man,
    i dont think i have any lighter fluid. but goof off seems to be in great demend around here guess i gotta get some
    thanks for your help
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    i used putty knife and dremmell tool last time and as far as the spring assist that was on your Xlarge right?
    thanks for your help
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    egret,
    i think i helped someone else do that one before and watched him get slapped in the face with a band (i thought it looked funny) but it would not be funny if it was me getting hit in the face. although that would be just about my adverage LOL!!!
    why do you think they tell you not to cook on it for 24?
    thanks for your help
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BENTE,[p] Yep that is why I am deferring to some one else.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    BENTE,
    Yeah, I got popped in the nose with my 'small" band once and that was bad enough. Not sure why BGE recommends a 1 hour wait (actually, they don't all agree on this at BGE), but it sure doesn't hurt to have the weight of the dome on the new gaskets for a while before you use it.......

• BENTE
    Options
    egret,
    yea i thought of that after post
    thanks again
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb