Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

homemade tortillas

fyrcat
fyrcat Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I buy fresh corn masa from a local tortilla factory and make my own tortillas on my stoves griddle. I am wondering if anyone has cooked fresh tortillas in the egg-if so do you use your plate setter or a griddle???? I have seen in Mexico tortillas cooking on earthenware griddles over a fire...so I thought the plate setter may work...any one out there with any experience????

Comments

• fyrcat,
    if you can cook it on the stove or in the oven you can cook it on the egg. go for it!
    Bobby-FTW,TX

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    fyrcat, Most corn tortillas are done on metal slats in an oven between 350 to 500 degrees, of course were talking something that can produce 6000 (yes 6k) dozen per hour.
    BTW who/where is the company your getting the masa from?

• fyrcat
    fyrcat Posts: 41
    tach18k,I have a tortilla press, and press the fresh masa out and griddle them. When my husband and I have been to Puerta Vallarta,the small stands press them out and cook over an open fire on a earthenware or steel griddle. We live in the San Francisco bay area, and purchase fresh warm masa from a tortilla factory in Redwood city called La Estrellita. Homemade tortillas are so delicious right off the heat with tons of butter!!!!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    fyrcat,[p]I buy fresh "prepared" masa for my tamales. The prepared has lard added and typically tortillas are made with masa that does not have lard (un-prepared). Homemade tortillas are great and if you like them, try gorditas. Gordita means "little fatty" in Spanish and they are just a thicker version of a tortilla. They can be made with either type of masa. Typically, both are cooked in a comal which looks like a small cast iron griddle, which is what I use. Gorditas can be cooked on the stove top or baked, so they may work fine in the Egg. They rise somewhat and you can either split the gordita for a filling or just fold them over. They are also good open faced like a tostada, with filling on top.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    fyrcat,
    I bought a cast iron comal when I lived in latin america, I think any lodge or other griddle would work fine. I've cooked them on the grill with good success.
    Cheers, Bob

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    tort1.jpg
    <p />fyrcat,
    What a wonderful post and responses. Wish I was near a tortillaria (sp doesn't look right(think it's ..lleria)). Anyway you could use the top of a 55g barrel or 30g or smaller.
    The señora was very nice and I had 2 tacos and pics and wasted some of her masa as she tried to teach me hand patting out.
    Another pic..
    http://www.blackfoot.net/~tfl3672/images/tort2.jpg
    I don't know how to embed pics.
    DTM