Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

32F Winds gusting 39 mph and snow flakes in the air! Q'time?

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put on a Boston butt, frozen solid then thawed four to 6 days in the fridge, soaking up rubs prior to freezing, and just on at 3:31 p.m. this afternoon in thick hickory smoke on a double rack setup over a drip pan. Man does it smell great with a finish of fresh ground peppercorns and hot jamacian mustard rubbed in extra.
Ideal weather for Boston Rub cooks...:-) Boy do I love Iowa. Where else can you have preliminary blizzard conditions and tulips and daffodils on their way up! Neighbor mowed his lawn yesterday...hardly see his tracks..heeeeyaaaa.
C~W
BTW..my dome temp said 80F when I put the meat in...Great smoke temperature.
Cheers...C~W

Comments

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    You think it is cold down there? Here In Central Minnesota I just saw a dog stuck to a fire hydrant with his left leg frozen in the up-right position. That's downright cold!! So I did not venture out.[p]Rather I baked four loaves of my bread (been doing it weekly for going on 24 yrs.)
    While at it, I figured might as well do a job. So I baked a sweet bread with raisons mixed in and cinnamin mixed with melted butter on top. All in the inside oven.

We will have the bread with the left-over Prime Rib I did yesterday and some fresh asparagus. Boy that EGG really can do up food right. The PR yesteday was just excellent.
    Then tonight, the meal will be finished with a good cup of java and the sweet bread. Im hungry already just thinking about it.[p]Tomorrow we plan to EGG some home made mettwurst I smoked last week. [p]By the way - what to do about that poor unfortunate dog?[p]Anthony

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Anthony Up North, haaaa. well, you have me thinking on that one. Someday I will tell you the true story regarding Brass Monkeys.:-)
    Just checked my BGE..holding 200F and has been under 200 for 1 hour and 50 minutes smoke time. Just crept past that and should hold 225 till about 8:00 a.m. tomorrow. Then Pulled pork hashbrowns and eggs for breakfast. Never did that before! Bag and freeze the rest!
    Your making me ansy with all that Prime Rib talk..its one of my favorites...Naked but for some kosher salt and peppercorn briskly rubbed in.
    Brined Pork Chops again tonight...Testing food always seems to be a pleasure.
    Good cooks to ya...C~W[p]

• Cheryl
    Cheryl Posts: 18
    Options
    CW and Anthony,
    You guys are certifiable .... I'm just down the road from CW ... and it's a wind chill of 7 here! It's chinese take-out for me tonight! [p](but gee....that prime rib sounds good LOL)... btw Anthony ... for a treat with the cinnamon bread, try cinnamon BUTTER... take a little soft-spread marg or butter and stir in a little cinnamon and suger....mmmmmm)[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Cheryl, we gotta get together sometime and keep meeting like this..:-)
    I just made some homemade cinnamon rolls yesterday, (wiffy helped at the tail end) and rather than do the butter spread and then cinnamon sugar comb thingy, maybe do it all in one swoop like your suggesting. Sounds good to me.
    C~W
    BTW..if anyone is watching..Cheryl told me (and it isn't a secret) that she takes home ribbons and cash from the state fair every year..so she knows which side her bread is buttered..heeeyaaa...Good job Cheryl!!
    C~W[p]

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Cheryl,[p]I do it the way my mom did it. Melt butter. Brush on top of dough after I form it in the pan. Then I make a mixture of cinnamin, sugar, and just if bit of flour. Mix well and sprinkle on the melted butter (can't use the ole stuff - nothing but the real thing in our house), let rise, and then I bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Eat it warm and it is out of this world. [p]C-W needs help from the wiffy - (I wonder if he actually helped or if she did it all) Just kidding.... C.W. couldn't resist.[p]Anthony

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Anthony Up North, I got all the way up to spreading the butter and tossing on the cinnimon mix..She rolled it out, spread the stuff, and rolled and sliced the mess..That was the fun part..:-)
    C~W[p]