Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Look what i found, finally but may have screwed it up

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, Thanks to a recommendation by Poppasam, I went to Restaurant Depot in Atlanta to pick up some Royal Oak lump. While there i was in awe to see almost anything you could think of to cook or cook with. They have a huge meat section and i was just standing there salivating and happened upon Beef hanging tenders which should be the same as a hanger steak that i have seen Max and some other people talking about. They were $1.70/lb. I picked up 2 4lbers to try. I have seen that Max marinades his in i think Balsamic vinegar and shallots for several hours. I didnt have time tonite so i just did a 30-45 min marinade with Lawrys steak and chop marinade. Egg was about 500 degrees so i threw them on in a hurry. Due to the difference in size from one end to the other of the muscle, the thermapen was at about 135-145. Pulled off and let rest for 10 minutes. When i sliced I noticed that the muscle fibers seemed to be much larger and definately was much more chewy than i expected. It was better if i pulled the muscle as if it were a pot roast. Anyway, i did this first hanger probably not taking enough time so i hope i have not ruined my impression of what others really seem to enjoy. Any feedback is more than welcome.

egg00214.jpg[p]

egg00219.jpg[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ugavet,
    yes sir, those are definitely hanger steaks. . ..and you prepped and grilled em about the same way i do. .. they love marinade, but you should keep it simple. . .balsamic vinager, or soy sauce, with nothing more than a little garlic or shallots. ..lately, i've been skipping the marinade alltogether and simply going with a nice seasoning of salt and pepper and/or dizzy raising the steaks (lightly though, just a seasoning, not a heavy 'rub'). . .[p]the main thing, is that when you slice them, slice them thin, and do it the length of the steak. ..i.e. in the top pic, you'd be slicing from top to bottom (north/south). .. that is against the grain of the steak .. .also, you have to cut out that long thin piece of tendon/gristle that runs north/south down t he middle of the steak (you definitely don't want to try to chew through that thing).. .[p]one thing you didn't mention was the flavor. . .what did you think of the flavor? ... .[p]man for 1.70 per pound, i would have bought a case (i pay about 6.50 per pound at my butcher, and i think thats a bargain!)[p]one thing

• UGAVET
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    thanks for weighing in. i was hoping you were around. so you are saying to slice them parallel to the membrane down the middle. i thought i saw a picture where you sliced them perpendicular to the membrane. The flavor was really good but i guess i did not slice them against the grain as i thought i was doing. went back and looked. I paid 7 bucks and some change for each package which has 2 hanger steaks in them. The pack was about 4lbs or so and i got 2 and they had a whole stack of them. I will take some extra care to do the next 2. I was just excited after getting home from work late and did it in a hurry. Thanks for the input.

• EGGOMANIAC
    Options
    ugavet,[p]Where's the Restaurant Depot? They sell meatz?[p]I had MM's at the E'fest - that's it.
  • UGAVET
    Options
    EGGOMANIAC,
    The one that i went to is in Norcross. they have a section that is a huge walkin freezer or refrigerated section different than any i have been in. Tons more selection than sams or costco as far as meat goes. They also have a seafood section with a good selection. there is a second Rest. depot in the atlanta area and i think it may be over your way. you have to have a business license to get a membership which is free.

• EGGOMANIAC
    Options
    ugavet,[p]That's fine 285 @ 400 is where I work. [p]No business liscense but I can always buy ya a beer.
  • gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    I'm going to have to keep an eye out for those. I love trying new things with inexpensive cuts of beef.[p]I remember a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown was talking about meat fibers. He essentially said that meat will be more tender when you cut it thinner and perpendicular to the grain.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ugavet,
    yep, thats exactly right, parrallel to that center membrane.. .long thin slices.. . you'll find it much more tneder, although, understand, its still gonna have some chew, this isn't a tenderloin. . . [p]but i'll tell you, on new years day when nature boy and hatch were over, we grilled up some very good tenderloins, and a couple of hangers, no marinades, just simple coating of raising the steaks, then ate slices from both, and difference in taste was simply remarkable ...the hanger steaks just has such a superior beefy flavor... .