Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Large BGE tables

Smokin' NoleSmokin' Nole Posts: 20
edited 6:20PM in EggHead Forum
I have read on Naked Wiz' website on his table construction, and I have the table plans on BGE website... although both are great.. I wondered, what have other eggers done when building a table to make it better/more re-inforced and little extras added.. or should I just go with the other plans and move on.
·

Comments

• table.jpg
    <p />Smokin' Nole, you can see the before renovation at Whiz's site.
    ·
  • Smokin' Nole,[p]Now, i'm not much more than a wood butcher...but i managed to get my table together using the BGE plans.[p]I did make a few mods...i used 4x4 posts and put in 2 extra cross members under the table top. You'll notice that the hole is cut about 6 inches from the edge instead of 4. I wanted to make sure that there was something to support under the cut off portion of the table top.[p]You can see what i mean in these pics:

[ul][li]phreaks BGE gallery[/ul]
    ·
  • gmangman Posts: 106
    MyEgg.jpg
    <p />There are lots of beautiful table designs around. In part, it's going to depend on what you intend to do with the egg. Some folks have a dedicated spot where they use their egg. So their tables can get quite ornate, almost like a piece of furniture.[p]For me, portability was an issue. I have to roll mine out to where I'm going to grill. So I follow Wiz's guidelines pretty closely except for adding some wheelbarrow handles. His design is very sturdy. I stood in the portion where the egg sits and there wasn't any creaking. And I'm 70lbs heavier than the egg.
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    G-man,
    Do you realize you have your bands are positioned incorrectly????.....The lower vent, and the thermometer and handle should ALL be 180° from the spring hinge.....spring in the back, everything else in the front...Don`t guess it would cause any problems like you have it though...just making a comment.[p]Wess

·
  • SSN686SSN686 Posts: 2,971
    Morning Smokin' Nole:[p]I guess I'm one of those who got carried away with my design???[p]closeregg.jpg[p]Have a GREAT day!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

·
  • G-man,
    The wheelbarrow handles are genius!
    Portability is an issue for me too. In my case, My neighbor gave me a pair of casters and I retrofitted my table.

·
  • gmangman Posts: 106
    LOL, doh! Yeah, I should have rotated them around. In retrospect, I like having the lower vent there. I don't have to reach over/around the handles. ...but I think I'm going to rotate that top lid around so the thermometer points right at me. That's always kind of annoyed me but I never thought about it until now. LOL, I'm an idiot. :p

·
  • UGAVETUGAVET Posts: 577
    G-man,
    Thats cool. Love the wheel barrow handles.

·
  • thanks to everyone for the ideas and pictures... I really appreciate it... is anyone going to eggfest in Ocala, FL ??[p]it only took FSU 16 years to beat Duke at Cameron
    ·