Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE tables

Options
Smokin' Nole
Smokin' Nole Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read on Naked Wiz' website on his table construction, and I have the table plans on BGE website... although both are great.. I wondered, what have other eggers done when building a table to make it better/more re-inforced and little extras added.. or should I just go with the other plans and move on.

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Options
    table.jpg
    <p />Smokin' Nole, you can see the before renovation at Whiz's site.
  • phreakingeek
    Options
    Smokin' Nole,[p]Now, i'm not much more than a wood butcher...but i managed to get my table together using the BGE plans.[p]I did make a few mods...i used 4x4 posts and put in 2 extra cross members under the table top. You'll notice that the hole is cut about 6 inches from the edge instead of 4. I wanted to make sure that there was something to support under the cut off portion of the table top.[p]You can see what i mean in these pics:

[ul][li]phreaks BGE gallery[/ul]
  • gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    MyEgg.jpg
    <p />There are lots of beautiful table designs around. In part, it's going to depend on what you intend to do with the egg. Some folks have a dedicated spot where they use their egg. So their tables can get quite ornate, almost like a piece of furniture.[p]For me, portability was an issue. I have to roll mine out to where I'm going to grill. So I follow Wiz's guidelines pretty closely except for adding some wheelbarrow handles. His design is very sturdy. I stood in the portion where the egg sits and there wasn't any creaking. And I'm 70lbs heavier than the egg.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    G-man,
    Do you realize you have your bands are positioned incorrectly????.....The lower vent, and the thermometer and handle should ALL be 180° from the spring hinge.....spring in the back, everything else in the front...Don`t guess it would cause any problems like you have it though...just making a comment.[p]Wess

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Smokin' Nole:[p]I guess I'm one of those who got carried away with my design???[p]closeregg.jpg[p]Have a GREAT day!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    G-man,
    The wheelbarrow handles are genius!
    Portability is an issue for me too. In my case, My neighbor gave me a pair of casters and I retrofitted my table.

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    LOL, doh! Yeah, I should have rotated them around. In retrospect, I like having the lower vent there. I don't have to reach over/around the handles. ...but I think I'm going to rotate that top lid around so the thermometer points right at me. That's always kind of annoyed me but I never thought about it until now. LOL, I'm an idiot. :p

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    G-man,
    Thats cool. Love the wheel barrow handles.

• Smokin' Nole
    Options
    thanks to everyone for the ideas and pictures... I really appreciate it... is anyone going to eggfest in Ocala, FL ??[p]it only took FSU 16 years to beat Duke at Cameron