Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress Table for BGE, should I treat or stain??

Options
Lizard Dragger
Lizard Dragger Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Ordered a long cypress table that will be delivered with my BGE this week. Has anyone stained or treated or both?? I would like a little darker look and also want to keep it waterproof and stain-proof if possible, I called and the dealer said that the wood has no treatment. I will cover it sometimes but it will mostly be out in the elements year around.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,
    Cypress is a great choice for an outdoor table. Your problem isn't the weather because Cypress does well in weather, eventually becoming a very light gray/silver. The problem is stains it will pick up while you are cooking on it. Being highly porous it will absorb the stain very deep into the wood. You need to talk to a knowledgable paint store rep about what you are trying to do. There are a number of products available, some with stain and sealer all-in-one. You don't want the first application to be the wrong one because you will never be able to correct it. Don't use Thompson's Water Sealer or similar products. There are better products available for what you want.[p]Good luck.[p]Spring "Cypress Knees" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,[p]I just got a new one and put three heavy coats of Sparr Polyurethane on it. It looks great. The color got a little dareker and the grain in the wood showed up nicely. I'm glad I didn't stain it now. I don't have any pics of it yet and it's in my trailer but Bobby might have some.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    drbbq,
    I do have some pictures but they are at home. I'll try and remember to post them later tonight.[p]Should I leave off the "Eggcessories" picture? :)

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Yes until that project is finished, which should be this week!

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    drbbq,[p] Thanks guys, look forward to the pics!
  • Lizard Dragger,[p]I have a large egg with a table built from the same wood as you have. I treated it three times. It is awesome. Do it when the weather is nice though. It took mine a while to dry.[p]SmokeNcoach