Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg-cessories

Options
Daryl
Daryl Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to purchase a "large" BGE this week. What accessories would you experienced users recommend for a new user? I am now considering the following:[p]Natural lump charcoal
wax fire-starter
Hickory and Mesquite Wood Chips
Precision Temperature Gauge
Dual Function Metal Top
Ash Tool
Vertical Roaster
v-rack
latching hinge

Comments

• Daryl, matter of fact I would skip the vertical rack as mine just gathers dust since I switched to Willie's sitters.
    http://www.barbecue-store.com/sitters.htm
    Unless your dealer is well stocked you might want to go ahead and have them order a plate sitter and a pizza stone as well. You can do nicely with fire bricks but the plate sitter is designed to be "just right".

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    one feral kat,
    I second those Willie Sitters. I've cooked with them and the v-rack as well and the sitters win hands down. They are an excellent product. I bought one 6 or 8 weeks ago and liked it so much that 2 weeks ago I ordered the turkey sitter and a second chicken sitter. The turkey sitter came in, but the chicken sitter is on backorder so it might take a couple of weeks.[p]Mike[p]

• Daryl
    Daryl Posts: 27
    Options
    Mikey,[p]Thanks for the tip on the Willie Sitters - I ordered the turkey sitter for now.[p]Daryl

• Daryl,[p]I am not sure what wax fire starter is, but you need nothing more than the fire starter cubes that are made by BGE, Webber and others (about $2.50 for 24 cubes). If waax fire starter is something different, I would skip it.[p]Regards,
    E1

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Daryl, Those are all good suggestions so far. I like the grill grabber tool as well. JCA

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Daryl,
    Grab a Polder or Maverick Remote thermometer as well.
    JimW