Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Cooking Time?

Lumpy Bob
Lumpy Bob Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not seeing any guidelines on cooking time for prime rib beef roast. I have a 5 lb roast to fix this afternoon, any suggestions as to temperature, time, etc.
Thanks

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    LumpyBob,
    Give this one a shot. I have never tried it but the ones that have, raved over it. If you do not have the ingredients for the paste do it without but follow the temps.

[ul][li]Dr.Chickens. recipe[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    JJ, just so happens this is what I did last night yummmm! The variation that even the Doc has made to this himself is to add 1 egg white to the paste and to use kosher salt instead of the rock salt. BTW I have heard from Dr Chicken's son in law and the good Doc problems have gone so deep that they are weighing replacement of his mother board.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RRP, If you would, e.mail me with some of the particulars.
    Sorry to hear there is a serious problem.[p]C~W

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Char-Woody, done as you asked...if anyone else wants to know give me a holler, but bottom line it is a problem with his BIOS and no fix seems probable due to the age of his pc.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    RRP,
    Sounds like he needs to do a MAJOR upgrade of his system.

• JJ, many thanks for the pointer. The roast was marvelous, I didn't do the salt shell, but the rest of the instructions worked wonders.

• Schneid
    Schneid Posts: 24
    LumpyBob,
    Day late and a dollar short for your Prime, but I too pondered the time to Egg a Prime Rib. I used advice from Tim M.'s and Gfw's wegsite (linked to from BGE Main page)on mine yesterday---covered in a rub and meat tenderizer, wrapped tight with plastic wrap in frig for 24h, cooked at 300-325 until....
    Until the Polder hit 135, then removed covered with alum foil for 5-10 min. It was perfect---pink, juicy, the right spice to compliment the meat.
    I've had my Egg since 11/00---and have enjoyed cooking with her. I was frustrated by recipes that said: "cook until done", but then got onto the Polder and through near nightly trials, have gotten the "time" thing down somewhat. The time is key for accessory items--spuds, green stuff and the like, but the meat is boss. When my wife and or guests inquire: "When will the meat be meat?", I smile and reply: "How long is a piece of string?"
    Here is to good Egging....