Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Texas Style Ribs" suggestions

Hayhill
Hayhill Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife brought home a slab of "Texas Style" ribs, big meaty things that have been a bit tuff when I have tried them before.
Any suggestions on the best way to egg them?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Hayhill, Beef or pork??
    From Texas? I suspect beef!~ This one may be a candidate for GFW's tie em down and foil em method. Especially if its Beef. :-)
    I haven't played with those yet so no help from here.
    Good luck..
    C~W[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Hayhill,
    If they are beef ribs, you're looking at a long low and slo. 6-8 hrs.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Hayhill,[p]We are all assuming Texas ribs are big beef ribs. The traditional way to do them is to cook at 220 deg for 6+ hours. They are tough and greasy things and longer is better. Like JJ said, 6-8 will do it.[p]Another approach that is newer (and one I have never had) is to cook them indirect (over a drip pan)for 4 hr @350 and then foil wrap and cook for 2-3 hrs abd then unwrap and cook for 1 hr direct @ 275. This would be the 4-3-1 method and a shorter version works well with pork ribs. I am not sure anyone has tried beef ribs in foil - [p]Tim
  • Hayhill,
    Can you describe the ribs you have?? I thought I remember hearing that "country ribs" are also called "texas style" ribs. Does it look like thick slices of boston butt? Very fatty? Do the bones look like rib bones or other type of bone? [p]I am pretty sure one of us can steer you right if you can give us some more info.[p]Cheers!
    NB

• Hayhill
    Hayhill Posts: 11
    Natue Boy,
    These are pork, with fairly lean (not marbled) meat that is about 1 to 1.5 inches thick, with multiple bones that certainly look like ribs. My slab has 8 or 10 bones in it.
    Thanks for your help.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Hayhill,
    Dang. Sounds like pork ribs, but I still wonder what makes them Texas-style.
    Not sure how you cooked them before when they were tough, but I would try them at 250 indirect for 5-7 hours until it feels like you can twist a rib off with your hand. A fork should slide in and out with little resistance.[p]Hopefully we can get some more insight on what exactly is a Texas-style rib.[p]Enjoy them.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Nature Boy,
    I think I hit on it..Them's those biiiiiiig rattlesnakes in Texas. They section em off in biiiiiiiig rib roasts.
    All kidding aside...snakes is good eating...Texas Style.

Sounds like our thick cut country pork ribs that are made from boston butt.
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Char-Woody,
    I would love to try rattlesnake sometime. What Hayhill described had 8-10 bones, and were in a "slab". Me thinks they are some version of spares.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Hayhill,
    I have done a few of those. Never heard them called Texaa Style ribs that's what threw me. Treat them as a roast. 350* to an internal temp of 160*.

• Char-Woody
    Nature Boy, you ever seen a texas rattlesnake? Even semi's detour around em...:-) I'm kidding...hey I betcha they be somekinda thing like JJ says..slabs from the BB area. BTW..I had some moderately good to excellent (tastes will tell) center cut pork chops tonight and last night. Last night I hit em with a added dose if Lawreys garlic salt, and slightly over salty..but ham textured. Tonight, same brined chop with just a dash of fresh peppercorn, Next thing to excellent. They still retained that cured ham taste and texture, beet red thru the meat and a mild salty taste to em. I need a good coating on em now.
    C~W[p]