Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABTs: Looked Good but Mixed Review

Cabdriver
Cabdriver Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made some ABTs for the first time yesterday. Made a mix of cream cheese with smokies and mexican cheese blend with smokies.
DSC_0039.jpg[p]Here they are awaiting the egg.
DSC_0041.jpg[p]And then off to the Egg.
DSC_0044.jpg[p]Finished product.
DSC_0052.jpg[p]They looked great, but the major concern was that the jalepenos were hard (not crispy, but like not cooked). I cooked them indirect for a hour at 350 dome. I guess I expected them to be softer. Anyone had this problem, or are they supposed to be like that?

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    cabdriver,
    They look underdone. That bacon should be pretty crisp after 1 hour at 350. Also, the bacon looks like it's the thick slice variety. Best to use thin sliced. Next time add some wood, such as hickory or apple, and put on a heavy coating of DP's Red Eye Express and cook until the bacon is good and crisp and cream cheese is oozing out. I turn mine over the last 15 minutes to crisp up the bottom as well.......

• cabdriver,
    After an hour at that temp, I would think the peppers would be softer and the bacon crisper. Is the termometer calibrated correctly?

• Hi..I'm a relative newby but I've done ABT's a few times now and I can tell you it looks like you didn't cook them enough. Mine, the ones that are really good tasting, are black almost ..certainly the part of the pepper that "shows" is black... otherwise, not cooked. The bacon really cooks like crazy and you think the things must be done but they aren't ... cook them harder and/or longer. Also, my guests seem to like them without any meat inside ....just the cream cheese and the bacon wrap ....
  • egret,
    I did use thin bacon -- I think the close up photo makes it look thicker than it was. I will recheck the thermometer. I'm going to try them again today.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    cabdriver,
    Try them with some pulled pork mixed in with the cream cheese. Good luck, Tom

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    cabdriver,
    These were cooked at that same condition. They should look like this;

olegrandad010.jpg[p]
    [p]Maybe egret will post his, they are always perfect!
  • ronbeaux,
    Your's sure look better. By the way, I just checked the dome thermometer and it is right on the money (boiling water test). So, I don't know why my jalepenos would be so firm -- I did have the platesetter in the egg -- maybe that had something to do with it. Too much indirect??

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    BajaTom, Try them with shrimp !!!!! YUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    cabdriver,
    Yes. These should be cook on a raised grid above a drip pan. Some just use a raised drid with no drip pan, But I like to have the flavor of the smoke from wood not bacon grease.[p]Check it out;

Mobileeggfest010.jpg[p]
    [p]You can make a raised grid pretty easy, or buy one from BGE.[p]

4thweekend016.jpg[p]

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    cabdriver,[p]I usually cook mine direct on a raised grid. Never had them under done when doing this.[p]

• egret
    Since you suggested it, Ron, I'll re-post my version. Also, cabdriver, don't use the plate setter. Do them on a raised grid with a drip pan underneath (bottom level). I use a large piece of aluminum foil shaped to fit when I have a large number to do and just lay the ABT's on the raised grid. Here 'tis:[p]Atomic Buffalo Turds
    by John Hall (egret)[p]This is the most basic version of the famous ABT’s. Several people asked me about the ABT’s I prepared at the fest, so I’ll tell you how I do these and offer a few hints.[p]Ingredients :[p]• 12 Jalapenos - fresh (3-3.5 inches each)
    • 1-8 ounce pack of cream cheese
    • 12 oz. bacon (regular sliced-NOT thick sliced)
    • 1 pack smoked cocktail wieners (Lil' Smokeys)
    • Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub[p]Preparation :
    • Wash, remove stems and halve jalapenos lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. If the jalapenos are pretty fresh. you can pull the stems off fairly easy. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).[p]Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, then top with a cocktail wiener. Put the two halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure the loose end of the bacon with a toothpick.
    Sprinkle a liberal amount of DP Red Eye Express rub all over the surface of the bacon. Place ABT's on a rack over a drip pan.[p]Cooking Directions:
    • Stabilize BGE at 350 degrees. Place drip pan and rack of ABT's on a raised grid and cook for about 40 minutes. Turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.[p]Optional : add apple, oak or hickory chunks to fire before placing ABT's in the egg. (I don’t consider this to be an option, but rather mandatory. These can take a good bit of smoke, so 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks isn’t too much).[p]Hints :[p]First, getting the right size jalapeno is important. You want it long enough for the smokey to fit but not too long so you don't get a piece of the smokey in all pieces you cut. I cut mine in 3 pieces which makes good size finger snacks.
    Second, use only the thin cut bacon.
    Third, I wrap the bacon starting from the pointed end of the jalapeno. Lay the bacon on the starting point and stick a toothpick in just enough to hold the bacon (not all the way through). Wrap the bacon around the entire jalapeno without overlapping too much. If you get to the end and you have excess bacon, it's best to cut it off so you don't have overlapping. Stick a second toothpick all the way through the jalapeno at the end point. Now, stick the first toothpick (at the starting point) all the way through as well. Stick a third toothpick all the way through at the center of the jalapeno. This third toothpick is important not just for a handle but it holds the smoky in place while you cut the ABT into thirds.
    Fourth, I put the DP Red Eye Express on as heavy as I possibly can. Cover the entire thing with as much as it will hold. I sprinkle this on over a paper towel laid flat, and, when I'm done I funnel the unused rub back into the jar. It goes much faster this way as opposed to trying to be real neat.
    Lastly, I've found that a teaspoon works best to remove the seeds and veins from the jalapenos.
    I'd advise you to use a drip pan so the bacon drippings don't go onto the coals. This creates a lot of foul-smelling smoke that will adversely affect the taste of the ABT's. [p]This is a lot of words, but it's really pretty simple. I've made hundreds and hundreds of these using this method. I’ve tried different rubs as well, but I believe the Red Eye Express is the perfect “fit” for these sensational snacks.

• egret,[p]Do you use a whole or half slice of bacon? I've used 1/2 slice before and they tend to shrink up and and cheese oozes out.
  • egret
    MikeM,
    Whole slice.........always........

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    cabdriver,[p]Platesetter is not the problem. I bet the Thermometer is way off.[p]abtsdone.jpg
  • MikeM,
    I tried to use a half slice. Some were too big so I used a whole.