Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Virgin cooking for 1st time tonight...

Options
Eggman
Eggman Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to everyone that populates this forum - I've been reading threads to prepare myself for my first go round with my brand new egg this evening (just some chicken breasts and veggies to get a sense of regulating the temperature in advance of some cooking tomorrow)[p]My one question is about the electric starter - perhaps I am just brain dead here, but you just open the lid and stick it in there with charcoal on top and beneath it for about 8 minutes? Is the heating ring supposed to be on an angle like that? Is it supposed to rest on something? What am I missing?[p]Thanks in advance to everyone, and look forward to cooking on learning about my new egg from all of you.

Comments

• egginator
    Options
    EggMan,[p]I don't think it matters. I just work the starter under a layer of charcoal and let it go. [p]Make sure you let the fire go until your smoke is relatively clear. Don't cook in that billowing white smoke that comes out for the first 20 minutes or so.[p]For me 350 is about a nickle on the bottom and a pencil on the top.[p]Ed
  • Dallas TC
    Options
    EggMan,
    I broke in my virgin egg last night. Just put the Elecric starter under a few of the lump turned it on and in 5 min pulled it out. No problem even for me. Then grilled a few steaks then dropped the temp down to about 220 and did a butt all night..[p]Started the butt at 8 last night and pulled it off at two this afternoon. No problems. [p]Good luck with yours.

• Metalhead
    Options
    Egginator,
    in my opinion this post is confusing:[p]8 minutes w/the electric starter
    leave lid open after you pull out the electric starter 15 mins or so
    don't start cooking until smoke is clear or non opaque[p]not tryingto step on your legs Egginator...just I am a relative newbie myself and I thunk it could be interperted
    as leave the starter in

• Eggman
    Eggman Posts: 13
    Options
    Egginator,[p]Thanks - good tip for the temps. It's appreciated.
  • egginator
    Options
    Metalhead,[p]No offense taken. I agree, don't leave the starter in - that would be bad. I only have an electric starter because my wife got nervous when my sons lit the egg with the MAPP gas. I've only used it a couple of times. Mostly what I was trying to get across it that no matter how the fire gets lit, wait a bit to cook on it. Being thisckheaded, it took me a while to firgure this out and my food tasted like kreosote <sp?>.[p]Ed
  • Metalhead
    Options
    Egginator,
    mine too...the dvd makes it sound like you light fire add food dial in the daisy wheel and bottom vent pull food eat[p]
    hahahahahahaha[p]
    patience is a virtue[p]EGGs little lesson #1....the phrase above

• LolaNuggs
    Options
    EggMan,
    Welcome to the family.

• Hi EggMan,

I've only used the electric starters since I got my Egg 3 years ago. OK, used newspaper a few times through the bottom draft when the lid frooze shut.

The bend in the end is just a gimmic as far as I can see. I get regular, no bend ones, for around $10 at a local hardware store. Works great. Just shove it in a few inches and plug it in. Take it out when it starts smohing (unplug it first LOL).

As others have said, get a good clean smoke going before you put food on.

Good Luck