Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Rules

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Curious if there are any good turkey rules of thumb out there:
1. Best dome temp
2. Average time per pound at that temp.
3. Best brine and brine times.
4. Rest time ptc (prior to carving)[p]I have a 12 pound bird that needs to be served up at around 1:30 tomorrow afternoon. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    bdavidson, you have about a 4 hour cook at 20 minutes per lb, @ 350F degrees. Too late for the brine..takes about 12 hours to 24. Brants brine in recipes is excellent.
    Since your running short on time try just air dry the bird tonight in the fridge..then olive oil the exterior and use a rub of your choice. Pack the cavities with either apple/orange or your choice..!
    Pull it at breast temp of 165 to 170 or thigh at 180F and tent in foil for 20 minutes prior to carving..Add all that up and you will want to start about 8:30 a.m. to meet your deadline.
    The last half hour you can bump up to 400F to help crisp the skin.
    Best I can do for ya..It works for me...!
    C~W[p]

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Char-Woody,...The turkey I did today was a hit.....funny thing though.....my dome temp was 350º to 375º.....the bird went in at 2:30 in a vrack in aluminum pan over 3 firebricks.....the turkey was 11.5 pounds and was 170º in the breast at 5:00 oclock....thats 2.5 hours and the skin was VERY dark.........the underside looked underdone though..
    Anyways, it went over well........by the time our guests arrived it was on the counter ready for carving...
    They asked if I did the bird on the Q and said they would have never guessed you could get results like that on a bbq..
    especially there Fiesta gas grill.....LOL
    thanks for the help.....[p]Mop!

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Great to hear from you again, my friend! How's life been treating you?
    We'll miss you at EggFest![p]No prob about the brine thing. I'm using a Kosher bird...already been salted. Best poultry around, hands down.[p]I'll use apples in the cavity. It's drying in the frig as I type this and I've already applied the rub under the skin. I just hope that I can duplicate that 30.5 pounder I did last year for Thanksgiving! I'll use some of JJ's pecan chunks that he gave me at Eggtoberfest last fall.[p]Blessings to you and have a Happy Easter!
    bd

• Char-Woody
    Options
    bdavidson, Hya Brad..I knew ya could cook that turkey all along. I was puzzled. Been finer than frogs hair! I don't know how you work the skin, but you may have noticed that there is a membrane right down the center. If your carefull you can work the skin loose without tearing and actually reach clear down around the thighs and drums to the back area. Do this on both sides of the breasts. Any tears, and you can stitch back up with bamboo splints. Actually pretty much sew up that cavity. I make a mix/paste of olive or peanut oil (I prefer the peanut) and my poultry rubs and I can spoon that mix in and rub to whereever I want under the skin. You have to loosen all the skin first. I can get all around the thighs and drums. Shoot..here I went and told ya my secret..but probably not a secret at all..:-)
    Have a great Easter and look forward to your presence again.
    Cheers to ya...Char-Woody
    BTW..I got some great pecan from Bill Wise..WiseOne. I sure like it.[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Mop, you proved what I been saying all along. Those V racks sitting in the pans leads to unequal doneness of the birds. They need to be air suspended at least 4 inches above the drip pans..That'w why I just use a double grill and it gets me there nicely. My birds are all evenly textured all the way around in color uniformity. I just do em breast side up, (contrary to some) and the breast meat is super moist and squirts when cut. I think the fruit pack in the cavities helps a bunch, similar to beer butt chicken.
    There is a small bird carrier that has large oval handles that you can cook the bird on and lift it right out onto your carving board or platter. Kinda nice too. Then the bird doesn't fall apart if too tender and easy to handle.
    Have a great day tomorrow..(today...just looked at the clock)
    Char-Woody
    C

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    You said to mount the Turkey at least 4" above the drip pan on a second rack. How would the plate sitter upside down with the drip pan on it and the grate on top of it's legs work. Would this be to indirect as to the diameter of the sitter and it's closness to the coals.
    Happy Easter

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    It will work like a charm. Enjoy the bird.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Big Daddy, I haven't read JJ's yet, but IMHO, thats excellent.
    C~W[p]