Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

middle of night burn out.......

Options
Metalhead
Metalhead Posts: 668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well not really....my BGE thermometer showed the dome had slipped to 200....not a problem[p]I stirred the coals...tried the wiggle rod 1st...no results...soooooo
i ended up stirring the lump.....fan the fire at the bottom vent
and viola....250 again......
this sux...not only do I have to get up every 2 hrs....no ones typing on the forum[p]WAKE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.....I was yelling and still I don't see any posts[p]next week I got my GURU coming[p]begin countdown[p]Over & out
Metalhead

Comments

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Metalhead,
    come cook in Ireland where it is now 11.30 a.m. and we cook at a civilised hour of the day!!!!!LOL
    Have a nice night,
    Roger

• Metalhead,[p]Quite shouting, I'm hear for you.[p]I'm coming up on hour 12 of my first cook with the Guru. I'm using my remote thermometers to monitor things, it's cold outside. I haven't made any adjustments to my initial settings. I attached the guru's pit probe to the pit probe of my maverick and according to the maverick I had the pit stabalized at 228 and it went to 232 before I went to bed, I woke up a couple of times during the night to do the "old man thing" and the first time I got up I checked the maverick for a pit reading and it showed 219, the next time I got up the maverick was reading 197. I finally wake up at 6:00 (an hour later than I usually wake up)to a pit reading of 228. I don't know why I had the temp swings during the night. A couple more observations, using my remote thermometers I'm monitoring the internal temp on both pieces of meat and one piece has consistently measured 6 to 8 degrees more than the other piece. I also have the guru's meat probe in one of the pieces of meat. I set the guru meat temp gauge to 195, my maverick's meat probe is also in this piece of meat, maverick is showing 168 and the guru is still flashing indicating that the meat is still 40 degrees lower than my target temp of 195. All in all thing are going pretty good with my first guru cook. I've got to figure a couple more things out prior to my next cook. [p]Harleyman.[p]PS. This is my first cook of boneless meat which may contribute to part of my meat temp differences.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Metalhead,[p]And good morning to you. Its so cold where I am, that if I went out to tend a fire, someone would probably have to build a fire under me to keep me moving. Happy eatin'[p]gdenby

• Metalhead
    Options
    irishrog,
    is that an invitation to stay at your place? LOL

• Metalhead
    Options
    Metalhead,
    well lucky for me my pit temp came back up.....2 hours later and I am still at 250. I have a remote thermostat
    stuck into one of the pork shoulders. Right now I am in the high 160's....shooting for 195

• Metalhead
    Options
    gdenby,
    According to the 'Decatur Daily Democrat' there has only been 6.6" of snow this month...less than 3/4 a foot[p]
    what's the problem?[p]Just teasing[p]according to google South Bend is near Evansville...is that true?

• irishrog
    Options
    Metalhead,
    the EGG is already warming, come on down.Any time!!
    We must plan for an Irish Eggfest, any body interested???
    Roger

• irishrog,
    If there's Guinness and meat, I'm your girl!

• Metalhead,
    Won't be long now, and your unhappy night will be drowned in sighs of gustatory pleasure!

• Metalhead
    Options
    irishrog,
    did i read a post about Guiness and MEAT....i'm there too. never been to Europe...gonna go someday...gotta get a passport first[p]hey are there a bunch of EGGers over your way?

• irishrog
    Options
    alb,
    no better place in the world for quality meat, and as for the guinness!!!LOL

• Mayberry Smoker
    Options
    Metalhead,
    South Bends in the Northern part of Indiana and Evansville is in the Southwestern tip of Indiana.

• irishrog
    Options
    Metalhead,
    we are a small but very enthusiastic group of eggers here in Ireland. The egg shop is like a meeting place on Saturday mornings when the heads who are off work call in to discuss tactics for the week.
    We also talk about the guinness!!

• Metalhead
    Options
    irishrog,
    Cool...I only personally know 1 other person w/an EGG and he is a co-worker. Don't really hang out wth him. I need a battalion of eggers near and around me.[p]what is wrong w/people?[p]I got my 16 #'s of pork shoulder thru the plateau and registering 187 right now. Less than an hour to go. HEhehehhe[p]
    on the menu:
    1)brunswick stew
    2)tamales
    3)enchilades
    4)pulled pork sammiches[p]rock on eggers

• irishrog
    Options
    Metalhead,
    on my menu for Sunday lunch, a six rib beef joint, on the bone hung 6 weeks by my butcher and ready to go.
    I'm finished work now for the day, and it was a nice quiet day for a change so I had a chance to communicate a little.
    BTW the prospect of an Irish EGGfest is still on, I'll talk to the other eggheads next week at the shop, and drum up a bit of interest.

• irishrog,
    if you do it around Cork, (and i can work out the scheduling with the family!) i can make the trip over from the States and bring along several Irish friends from Cork who don't have eggs but know how to eat!![p]Ken