Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugar Brisket???

Options
SouthOfI10
SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I too am doing brisket this weekend. Some time ago, I read a post about a good recipe for marinating brisket overnight in a heavy rub of sugar. Maybe there was mustard and rub too, but I remember a heavy coating of sugar, then another heavy coating before going on the Egg. I know that it was recently posted, but searching the archives has been fruitless for me as of late.[p]Any help would be appreciated. This recipe sounded and looked good. Otherwise, I will be following the Dizzy Pig method (not that there's anything wrong with that; I'm just eggsperimentin).[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    rtsbrisket2.jpg
    <p />SouthOfI10,
    I usually cover mine with rub then white sugar overnight. Add more rub in the morning. I got hung up at the washes today so, that is what I'm going to do with my flat for Super Bowl Sunday.[p]Mike

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    This is it!!! Thanks so much! I have about a 5.5lb flat. I'm going to try it tomorrow. 250 dome, indirect until 165F, double wrap in foil until 195F, pull from Egg, wrap in towels and into the cooler for a few hours. Sound about right? Any mustard on the cow before the rub goes on? I'm thinking Raising the Steaks...[p]Thank God it's Friday! Woohoo! Let the Egging begin!!![p]I'm doing DP wings here in a little while and bringing ABTs over to a friend's for the game on Sunday. [p]Thanks, Mike.[p]Scott

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    SouthOfI10,
    Welcome Scott.
    Raising The Steaks does sound good. I rotate back and forth. I never have tried mustard, if you do let me know. I have a 7lber that is going on as well. Your directions look good.
    I'll be cooking a flat with you.[p]Mike

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Then it's settled. When these wings get devoured, I'm going to slather that puppy up with mustard, Raising the Steaks and a generous coating of sugar before going back into the fridge. Tomorrow, recoat with sugar, then it's on![p]I plan on takings some pics...that kinda mood. Silly. [p]Heeee.[p]Cheers.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    SouthOfI10,
    I recoat with rub not sugar. Let me know how yours turns out. BTW, when I foil, I add a sliced onion in with the flat.[p]Mike

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thank you. I missed that point about recoating with rub, not sugar. Okay, let me show my ignorance even further. Fat side down for the initial cook, but when you foil, does the fat side stay down? Onion on top or bottom in the foil? Any beef broth or anything?[p]Thanks again for your help and your patience.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    SouthOfI10,
    No problem.
    If there is sugar leftover on the brisket in the morning. Gently wipe it off then add rub. Fat side down the entire way. Onion on top. I'm thinking about adding beef broth this time. I have never tried it. I'm going threw Ray's book now. [p]Mike