Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

side ribs

Options
Smokin' Wolverine
Smokin' Wolverine Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a rack of side ribs right now , I always in the past have only cooked baby backs. I am doing the 3-1-1 method however I have a question. Do y'all cook them bone side down for the entire cook or do you flip them for a period of time...By the way I am cooking these to bring to my parents house tonight, it will be the first time they have tried something off the egg.

Comments

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine,
    Using the 3-1-1 method you cook 3 hours meat up. Then wrap in foil meat down with liquid (apple juice, etc...). Then unwrap and cook meat up for the last hour basting the last half hour if you so desire. Hope this helps. I'm still a rookie. AZ

• Smokin' Wolverine
    Options
    AZ Traveler , thanks for the help, in the past I always cooked them meat side up for the whole cook but it makes sense to cook the meat in the apple juice to tenderize it even more. Thanks a ton!!!![p]Cheers

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    Options
    Smokin' Wolverine,
    I've done the 3-1-1 method and I've done the rib rack method without the foil. Both have yielded excellent results. When doing the foil (3-1-1) method I always go bone down to start, then wrap in the foil with an ounce or two of an 8:1 ratio of apple cider:apple cider vinegar in the foil pouch with the meat side down. This allows the meat to sit in the liquid and essentially braise for the next hour. This step will give you that 'fall off the bone' tenderness that you may or may not be looking for. The final hour outside of the foil I do bone down and this is to firm up the meat that comes out of the foil as it may be a bit too 'fall off the bone' for some. All depends upon your tastes. I just did the 3-1-1 method yesterday. Post is below...'Dizzy Pig Maximum Viscosity' thread.Your folks will love your results no matter what method you go with. Just take your time. Good luck.[p]John "Newbs" Newbigging