Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What temp when spares are done?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any one know the correct temp reached when spare ribs are done?
I am cooking them right now.[p]Thanks,

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Coals,
    Try to lift them in the middle with somke tongs. If they bend easy and start to pull away form the bone they are done. TimM likes about 200*

• JJ,[p]Thanks. They have been in a vertical rack and cooking for about 2 hr 40 min at 200. Looking done. In fact I can't believe that they would cook so fast.[p][p]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Coals,[p]They are probably not ready yet. JJ and I both cook ribs to a "feel" and I cannot report a temperature goal.[p]With the lower dome temp you are using, they will look done long before they are cooked to doneness. They will only get better. Rib doneness is a very personal thing and I prefer the more traditional "pull cleanly from the bone" interpretation. I test for doneness by giving an exposed bone a gentle twist by hand. If the bone tends to feel like it will break free of the meat on good twist, it is done.[p]Flip and move the rack(s) according to how they are cooking, moving around to provide even cooking. Add a sauce (I like bare ribs with a dipping sauce) 10-30 minutes before they are done. This will be when you can twist the bone about 45° and think if you went more, it would break free from the meat. Sauces thicken and can burn on the meat. Add thinner sauces earlier and sugary sauces later.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spin, I can see you been there, and done that..Nicely put.
    :-)[p]C~W

• Spin,[p]Thanks for the info. They really did look like they were almost done. I didn't have the polder to check on them.
    Went to the Sears and bought the tempature fork setup. It was registering 128 on the rack that looked the best. From now on I will know to cook for feel on these. Thanks for your help. One other thing. Anyone know the cheapest place to get a polder or one that works like one?
    Coals,
    ATLANTA

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    coals,
    Polders basic price for the standard polder is around 20 bucks and the deluxe is around 30 or so...Check em out at http://www.polder.com. Other retailers should be about the same.

[ul][li]Polder[/ul]
  • King Arthur flour has em for $19.95...hard to beat it except on a special sale somewhere. While your there, check out the special flours and spice grinder. Those spice grinders are great for hard shelled spices. Works similar to a pestle but has a large rounded marble base and pestle.

[ul][li]To Polder page at King Arthur[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    coals,[p]Welcome to the forum and the Egg family. I would not overly trust that fork thermometer. I have two and neither impress me at all. One had "idiot" lights that light for rare-med-well, etc. The other has a digital readout, but neither are as good as any of my Polders or Instant read Polder thermometers. I found the forks are ok for determing if meat is well done or under done but not much for in between. The plastic fork is not even very good at lifting food off the Egg, keep them if you have one but avoid them in possible (IMHO in my humble opinion).[p]BTW, I do like testing baby backs when I take them off to eat to see what the meat temp is and if I can determine what temp to strive for. I am under the belief that the ribs need to be over 180 deg and higher is better - I aim for 195 deg and 200 is ok too. Spares might be a little different.[p]
    Tim