Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Nimmy" About those turkey legs..!!

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You asked and I did a pair (beat NB I betcha) of em. they were simple to do and had a red texture all the way thru the dark meat. Would I do it again..dang right I will. Thanks for the push. The meat pulled loose from those stringy leg splints in the muscles. Just use a common brine of your choice and add 3/4 to 1 cup of Mortons Tenderquick. Let em sit for 24 to 48 hours in the brine. Then rinse em real good dry, season (I used Lawrey: Lemon Pepper) and spray with olive oil and cook low and slow (did mine for 5.5 hours with loinbacks) They were delish...Next time I might go for the same thing only at 350F degrees and baste with a good BBQ sauce all the way thru the cook..every twenty minutes for a hour to hour and a half.
(JJ don't look)
I did foil wrap those legs the last hour in sauce, but I would rather have em carmelized exterior..too soupy sauced in foil.
Cheers to ya..till next time..
Char-Woody.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I did not look. hehe

• Char-Woody
    Options
    JJ, Good, I hate to lose a good friend...heeeyaaa.. ! I had the last drumstick tonight..it was good. Along with some home made french fries via my Bron mandoline.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Yeah. Beat me to it! I think I will do a batch this week for lunch. Kids go back to school tomorrow after a week long spring break....can you believe it rained all week, then when it finally cleared up yesterday, on of my daughters, Kara, got sick. Such is life![p]Thanks for the report on the drumsticks. Did you cook them to 180 internal? Sounds good all the way down to the oil.....or was that foil? ; >)[p]Enjoy this fine sunday. I think I am gonna go pull some ribs out o da freezer.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, anything that has to do with food is "Choice Woids" Ribs be tops. I almost think that if one had a BGE just for doing ribs its worth it.
    I have leftovers to finish this noon. Sometimes that warmed up smoke smell is scrumptious.
    Have a great Sunday as well, hope the twins go on a "egg" hunt. :-)
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Man. glad you didn't catch that one. I said the kids go back to school tomorrow. I meant monday!! Spring break has my schedule scrambled. Anywho I agree witcha on the ribs. Still up there along with my most favorite cooks. And most incredible smells.[p]The twins will be talking a break from the egg hunt tomorrow! We have had the nieces and nephews (many many) over here the last 3 years for an egg hunt. A nice break this year. Working in the yard, and smelling the enticing smell of ribs smoking. [p]Cheerio!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody,[p]Thanks to all who gave suggestions on these legs. Made me hungry just reading them. I'll do a batch this week - the neighbors all congregate around my house when I smoke, so shouldn't be a problem with testers![p]Nimmy

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Nimmy, let us know how ya do, and improve on it. I just started a brine very similar for another experiment in pork.
    Cheers to ya and don't be bashfull.
    C~W[p]