Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to buy BGE for my husband for our upcoming anniversary. I have looked at them before but am never sure what size to buy. I am leaning toward large. What will he be able to do with an XLG that he can not do with a large? Also, any recommendations of for accessories? What is critical? What is a waste? Thanks!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    For My Husband ,[p] MORE!!
  • El Jefe
    Options
    For My Husband ,
    I have a medium, wouldn't mind a large. I, personally, think an XL is a bit much for the average user. [p]Egg-cessories:
    * Plate setter
    * Ash tool
    * Pizza stone
    * grid/grill gripper
    * electric starter
    * table[p]not so important:
    * raised/extended grid-i would make my own...i don't care for how the "legs" are unstable
    * cover[p]just my $0.02

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    For My Husband ,
    The Large is good. You can fit a lot on it. my neighbor has an XL and when I first got mine, i was thinking that bigger was better. Not so. I'm glad I have a Large, don't need an XL but am thinking of getting a mini or a small this spring (to take with me on vacations). Turns out he hasn't cooked anything on his XL that I can't (or haven't) cook on my L.[p]Eggsessories: Ash tool and a plate setter are important, but also either a table to put it in or a nest with eggmates-depending on your setup. Do you have a place for a table? if so at some point get a cover for it-the Egg will be fine, you need to protect the wood![p]Your husband is a lucky man!

• Cabdriver
    Options
    For My Husband ,
    Buy a large. You didn't say what your household contains, but a large is much better than a medium at not much more cost, and the XL is really big and a lot more expensive. The large, in MHO, is the best price performer. You will want to do racks of baby back ribs, some pork butts, etc, and the large will allow you to do all of this without waste. See the Naked Whiz' recommendations about the large -- really, get the large, not the medium, not the XL. Get the large. Perfect amount of lump charcoal, big enough for a few or a relatively large group. Get the large!

• For My Husband ,[p]My wife gave me my 1st BGE - a large. Latter she gave me a mini. I am soooo happy she did![p]Great gifts! [p]Best,[p]CTB
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p] Did you think I was kidding when all I said was "MORE"? One day I'll move Twiddle Dee or Twiddle Dum on the Porch and move Humpty to where I store my Competition stuff.[p] I got my XL because Eggs by the Bay pretty much allowed me to steal it. I don't regret because I use it for my catering business, but the large would have been plenty if it weren't for the catering and a dayum good deal :)[p]
  • Sparky
    Sparky Posts: 34
    Options
    I would go for a Large.
    As for the extras I would get a Plate Setter, Ash tool and an Adjustable dome topper.
    If he is handy and likes to build things have him build a table for the Egg.
    If he does not like to build or never has the time. Get a table or a nest.
    Any other extras I would hold off on as they are personal choices.
    Later you will want to look into BBQ Guru, Special multi grill racks and pizza stones.[p]Please be aware that after a year or 2 of good food you will want to add a Mini or Small. That's what I ended up with. And I am very happy with both my Eggs.[p]Cheers and Enjoy it's a wonderfull life!

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    For My Husband , I have a large and a family of five so were happy with it. I use a platesetter, a Mapp gas torch to light the Lump(home depot), get about 4 bags of Royal Oak Lump from Wall Mart, The Egg should come with the daisy wheel cap, a nest so it can be moved around the back yard, I don't have or use the ash tool, some real cool beer can coolers, some long leather work gloves, and some food to cook on it.

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    For My Husband ,
    I agree with everyones recommendation of the large. i have a large, xl, and small. if i had to choose one i would choose the large. its not too big to cook for a couple of people and big enough to cook for many. you wont regret the large.

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    You are truly a good woman. Honestly, a large will be sufficient unless you are cooking for crowds. With regards to accessories, you'll definitely want:[p]temperature gauge -- absolutely mandatory. not sure why this isn't built in.[p]dual function metal top -- this really helps you dial into the right temperature +/-10 degrees like a traditional oven.[p]plate setter -- this is like a big ceramic dish on legs. despite its name, it is typically used to control the type of heat. When you want a direct heat from the coals (e.g. steaks), you omit using the plate setter. If you are doing something slow & low (e.g. bbq), you'll often put the plate setter in to block the heat from the coals and cook indirectly.[p]meat thermometer -- a lot of times you want to pull meat off the egg when the temperature hits X (as opposed to cooking by time). But the key is doing it without lifting the lid. Different folks use different tools. Personally I get buy with those cheaper probes that are attached by a metal wire. Some folks go wireless.[p]Some-type-of-coal-starting-unit -- folks have a lot of different methods. Personally I like using a chimney. It's like an elevated coffee can with holes & a handle. Drop your charcoal into it. Stuff the bottom with newspaper. Lite it up and a few minutes later, you are ready.[p]
  • Conundrum
    Options
    For My Husband ,
    +1 for the large - the XL just looks like a beast to me and I haven't found anything I've wanted to cook on the large that I couldn't and it's not so big that I have a problem cooking for just my wife and I which I do alot.[p]As for accesories there seems to be some variability in what dealers consider "standard" so assuming that nothing but the egg and its internals are standard I would rate as follows:[p]Temp gauge
    Dual function metal top
    Table (or nest with wings based on space)
    Electric starter (he may want to switch later, but it's cheap and gets him started).
    Ash tool
    Plate setter
    Pizza stone (you've really got to try pizzas on the egg!!)
    A couple of bags of wood chips/chunks for smoking[p]And the #1 accessory you need to have with it when he receives his new egg - a 20# bag of lump charcoal or two.[p]Good Luck and enjoy[p]

• Thanks for all your great advice. Can anyone tell me exactly how much the large will hold? How many pork butts? Ribs? Etc.? I am still leaning toward large. What are you giving up if you move back to medium? We are a family of four that throws the occasional party. [p]
  • Thanks for all your great advice. Can anyone tell me what the large will hold. How many pork butts? Ribs? Etc? I am still leaning toward large but I am curious about a medium. How much space (food) are you giving up? We are a family of four that throws an occasional party. THANKS AGAIN!