Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Bought the Egg - NEWBIE HERE

Options
CJ
CJ Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is my story- Went to a party and had Prime Rib done on the Egg and was impressed. Now folks, let me say this, I have never -I say never cooked on anything other than the good ole 20 pounder of propane. Had a few, well maybe a lot of Bud Lights and got to talkin to a buddy and he convinced me to look into the Egg and I bought one (Medium). It has not seen the first peice of charcoal as of yet ....But I am ready to let it fly. [p]My question is this: Do you good folks have any suggestions for neophites such as myself - other than re-hab?[p]cj

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    CJ,
    Well, you might want to start out looking at my website and WessB's website. (Of course, after you view my website, you may need therapy, lol)[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Web Site[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Metalhead
    Options
    CJ,
    well i am a newbie also and i was in the same boat as you[p]prior to buying my largeBGE i had never cooked w/charcoal[p]i will never look back[p]check out www.nakedwhiz.com[p]he in my opinion is the bomb

• Metalhead
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    just as i am reffering newbie here you show up and post 20 secs b-4 me....shouldn't you be cooking something?[p]just teasin

• Slo-n-Lo Joe
    Options
    CJ,
    Welcome to the Land of Egg. I'm still in my first year, but feel like a bit of a grizzled veteran thanks to this forum and the generous nature of it's inhabitants.
    I agree you should put some time in at The Naked Whiz and Wessb sites, there are incredibly informative. I would also suggest checking here regularly and keeping up with the posts, at least until you get comfortable with your new toy.
    One more thing, forget everything you knew about cooking on the old gasser![p]Have fun![p]Joe

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Metalhead,[p] Don't you know the Whiz is Psychic. He just knows when he has to post a link..
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    CJ,
    My name is Bob and I'm a recovering gasaholic.[p]I got my Egg last August and it has opened up a whole new world for me!
    I had a lot of trouble adjusting to the change because I was used to fast and easy on the gasser, but with charcoal you have to plan your time a little.[p]I soon realized I wasn't really cookin on the gasser, just heating food up. I've been cooking all sorts of stuff on the Egg that I had never even tried before.

• Cabdriver
    Options
    CJ,
    I cooked a chicken on my Egg as the first thing I did. Wrong-o. I'd suggest you cook some baby back ribs. They are easier to do, don't soak up so much smoke, etc. etc. The bottom line, is that that cooking on the Egg is so much more intersting, so much more challenging, but so much more satisfying. You can cook things that you used to cook on a gas grill and it tastes TOTALLY different on the egg. So much more moist.

• Sparky
    Sparky Posts: 34
    Options
    CJ,
    Start small. A chicken or some steak or bergers is a good start.
    Go light on the wet Wood Chips/chunks till you find the right amount for you. Nothing worse than first time ashtray food. Check out the Naked Whiz Web site. It's a great place to start. You will want to get a plate setter soon if you do not have one for inderect cooking. Wal Mart sells U.S. made Royal Oak lump charcoal for about 5 bucks for 10 lbs.
    Almost forgot get some Dizzy Pig Rubs!
    Sorry I can't put up the links to the site but they are
    www.nakedwhiz.com/
    www.dizzypigbbq.com[p]
    Cheers and Enjoy it's a wonderfull life.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    CJ,
    I learned to control my temps before I cooked on mine, I did about 3 run through's before I did my first chicken.Take your time and don't try anything difficult at first.

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    CJ,[p]I've put together a short website with links to some of the best sites out there (including some links to helpful videos). [p]Have fun.[p]
    [ul][li]the link[/ul]