Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Warning!!

Options
Randy
Randy Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ive had my large egg for several years and used to post here a while back, some of the ole timers may remember me. What Im saying is Im not a newbie with the egg. Ive done 100's of cooks but what I just saw made my heart skip a beat. My large egg is mounted in the BGE table. Last night I did a couple of steaks, got the temp to past 750. I did notice that the egg seemed hotter than usual, I even made the comment to my wife. Steaks came out great as usual but when I went out this morning to my screen porch, I saw daylight under my egg. Its mounted on the BGE feet so there is a gap between the table and egg. The table had a perfect circle burned all the way through it directly below the egg. For what ever reason, the fire burned itself out...We were lucky...very lucky....I will be installing a piece of stainless beneath the egg now in hopes this never happens again....anyway, I just thought everyone should be aware...[p]
Randy

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Randy:[p]Something else to consider for an egg in a table setting is a large concrete stepping stone as a base with the egg set on the feet on top of the stone. You may have to lower your support shelf, but this may offer better insulation than the stainless.

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Randy,[p]I agree with djm5x9, the stepping stone is the only way to go with the table.[p]Carl T

• Randy,[p]As others will note too, definitely do not use steel which is a perfect conductor of heat, use stone -- km

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Randy, an excellent post for the unaware. I hope you were not setting the BGE directly on wood. Those bottoms get super hot and eventually will char the wood. Fire is inevitable. During some of the test runs regarding leaving ash in the bottom of the pit I noted that one could place his hand on the bottom of the lower base, while the internal grate was red hot (I was using diamond mesh which is even hotter than a ceramic grate)[p]Leave a half to 3/4 inch layer of ash on the bottom of the BGE's and it will lessen the danger of overheating a base.[p]I have had my Large so hot that even the bottom of the lower base exterior was smoking due to a prior grease accumulation from a low and slow smoke. (another reason for drip pans)
    Glad to have you back Randy, and yup we remember ya. Your one of the "family"...
    Cheers and happy Easter to you and your's...
    Char-Woody