Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

venison loin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
'Was just given a fresh venison loin roast..about 2-1/2" Dia and 12" Long sort of like a pork tenderloin. Any suggestions of rubs, temp, etc.?

Comments

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    1) very little fat so you need to add some so as not to burn...my suggestion? wrap it with bacon. you can do this as either medallions or the whole loin...i prefer medallions.[p]2) do NOT overcook venison loin. as a matter of fact, keep it as rare as you can stand. b/c it is such a lean muscle, it will get very tough, very quick. my suggestion is rare-med. rare to keep it nice and buttery tender. [p]As for rubs, kind of up to your tastes. that being said, i would think a dizzy - raising the steaks or cowlick would be tasty.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    captn john,[p]This is a great marinade!

[ul][li]Venison marnade[/ul]
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    captn john, from your description, in my neck of the woods we call this the backstrap. As all venison, I think it's best rare to medium rare. Marinade or just add a rub, DP raising the steak or raging would work fine. i usually serve it with some hunter sauce on the side. I think if look up backstrap will get lot's of ideas

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    captn john,
    I do them by making a seasoned flour of salt, pepper, alspice and a bit of cinnamon.[p]I slice the loin into medallions and pan fry them in bacon grease a few minutes on each side. when done I set thm on a warm plate and put that in a warm oven until I'm ready for them.[p]Usually I take a venison stock I make and reduce it down and add some rehydrated porcini mushrooms and reduced port wine. I then add some blackberry preserves and fresh blackberries and heatthrough. I finish it of with some sour cream.[p]I'll add the seared loin pieces to the sauce to coat them then take some pasta tossed with white truffle oil and top that with the lon and sauce.[p]Pretty darn good eating![p]Bob