Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Legs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may be an "old" request, but does anyone have a recipe for the smoked turkey legs like they sell at fairs and festivals? It seems to me that they are cured and not just smoke cooked.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nimmy, I would brine those turkey legs and add Mortons TenderQuick as recommended on the box. This will induce a more ham like taste and texture to the meat..Grill indirect at till 180F in the thick part of the drum..
    There are several different approaches in the tenderquick applications. You can fit one to meet your needs. Also visit Mortons Salt website for other brine ideas.

[ul][li]Mortons[/ul]
  • Char-Woody, maybe http://www.mortonsalt.com?? Yer shadow, C~W

[ul][li]Mortons[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    howdy CW,
    Was just about to respond, and double checked and saw your response. I haven't eaten the ones at the festivals or fairs, but seems like a brine (not necessarily a cure) would be a great start to some killer smoked turkey legs. Then a nice rub under the skin and all around, and an indirect smoke at 250-275 with cherry wood. No opening the egg for an hour. Flip once, apply a mop if desired, and finish off until polder says 180. [p]I might have to try that soon...just thinking about it is makin me hungry. We use the legs all the time in broth, and sometimes I will cut off a few big chunks of meat to us for kebobs. Smoked turkey legs must be awesome.[p]Cheerio
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, I did brine and tenderquick a whole bird one time and I had a red ham like meat texture all the way thru..I wasn't sure I really liked that so didn't do it again..Turkey legs would be a good experiment. I have eaten those State Fair Turkey legs..and I betcha they are brined and cured...I think I will get some legs tomorrow and work em over.
    Like you..it's making me hungry.
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I will pick up some today or tomorrow. I would also like to try this. I don't think I would like the cure either. If I want ham, I'll get ham. I think I will try brant's brine, as I haven't done it for a while. We shall share results.[p]enjoy!! Yucky rain here today. Can you say "stationary front?".
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, Tornado watch alerts here..Heading for the Post Office...and a stop at the meat market.
    Cherrio..BTW..those hammy turkey legs are good..Don't pass em up.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, Tornado watch alerts here..Heading for the Post Office...and a stop at the meat market.
    Cherrio..BTW..those hammy turkey legs are good..Don't pass em up.
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    dem twisters is nasty. Stay safe.
    Turkey legs in the spotlight.
    cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Da sun is trying to shine,
    two turkey legs in da brine,
    I hope I not be sick,
    as I added tenderquick, [p]Brown sugar and salt,
    and bayleaf green,
    a dash of garlic
    could be seen.[p]All this to do it right,
    Dem turkey legs,
    gonna be outa sight..![p]Cheer's to all on the merry go round..
    Char-Woody[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    nice work. In words as well as actions. Let us know what happens.[p]I don't think you will be sick from the tenderquick. If so, you will be cured! : ) ArrrArrr.
    best to ya
    nB

DizzyPigBBQ.com