Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's WoosDay Morning - I've Got Wood

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
fc16fc52.jpg
<p />Here is some pecan, mesquite, cherry and alder.[p]6a5c09b3.jpg[p]b70b7b04.jpg[p]~thirdeye~
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    thirdeye,
    What a timely post. Check out the link. I'm headed today or tommorrow to pickup a truck load of lump and wood.
    I'm picking up apple-cherry-pecan-sugar maple.[p]The Sweetwood,Apple/Hickory are chips but great.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Chigger Creek[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    SearedAhiChiminea.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    Speaking of wood, a few weeks ago I had a little gathering at the house to celebrate the arrival of the dumpster. Finally got a chance to cook with all wood again, but this time it was with my chiminea. We had blue flames shooting out of the top like a rocket engine, and we seared some Ahi tuna on top of the chiminey. 30 seconds a side did the trick. Wood is good!![p]Happy woosday!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Yo thirdeye, The big chunks with a lot of heartwood are where it is at in my book. IMHO, the heartwood, as opposed to the outer and inner barks, produces a more mellow and sweeter smelling smoke.[p]In most woods I have cooked with, I have found that logs less than four inches in diameter don't have such heartwood. These smaller logs also have a higher content in new growth outer and inner barks. These new growth barks can emit a harsh and bitter smelling smoke. Even the old growth bark on the chunks such as what you have there will burn more mellow than the heartwood of branches smaller than four inches in diameter.

Those chunks you have there are the real deal.......[p]Lager,[p]Juggy

• thirdeye,[p]This is what I worked on this weekend. I salvaged the rolling chassis from the Weber added a paint job and some new wheels along with a little oak. I just got the small egg a few weeks ago and have been using it a lot. Because of it's size it needs to be cleaned out regularly. So, I added an ash dump, slide out drawer. I applied linseed oil to the wood and will disassemble in a few weeks after it has cured and apply a few coats poly.[p]OLDWEBER.jpg
    EGGINCART.jpgSM-EGG-CU.jpgBOTH_EGGS.jpg

• thirdeye
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I'm jealous you can just drive over to get some hardwood. If pine and cottonwood were smoking woods, I would be in heaven.[p]I've lost my regular wood guy who sold wood as a hobby. It's the shipping costs that kill me and he was only a couple of states away. I might have to check out your source, at $26 the 40# boxes of chunks sound good. They didn't have a shipping calculator on the site. Maybe I'll drop them an e-mail for a "on my doorstep price"[p]Have you tried their stuff before? It's hard to find maple chunks, I use it on the Buckboard bacon. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Lizard Dragger
    Options
    47b7df11b3127cce81682fb0fac900000016100AcMnLRi3csWPg
    <p />thirdeye,[p]Hope this works, it's my 1st try at posting a Pic. I got wood and lump, just waiting for my new Egg to arrive on Saturday.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    chiggercreek1.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    Yes, I have gotten a ton of lump and wood from them before. The last time I got lump, I didn't like the quality but I'm going to try it again.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,[p]Bigger chunks are getting harder to find...I just use a construction axe on em' when I need splits like the ones in the bottom picture.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    GordyBBQ,
    you might want to put a tile or a piece of steel,stainless, or other type of nonflamabble material under the feet of the egg. mine sat like that for a couple years, then burned a hole thru the table on my deck while i slept thru a low and slow. the feet alone are not enough. nice table top by the way

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GordoBBQ
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Yeh,[p]Good point, I think I remember your pictures![p]Thanks!

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Happy Woosday, everyone! Been a while since I've posted, but in celebration of my buddy Woo's special picture day, here's one of my faves featuring my daughter Hannah, holding one of the first offerings off the XL after I brought it home from the Jack '04; an 18" mega pizza!
    Pretty sad when you gotta go back more than 2 years to find a decent food pic! Guess I need to start firing up the Egg more often......
    Qfan

[ul][li]Mega Zza![/ul]
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Pastrami.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    Patriots Loss Pastramis

• Sandbagger
    Options
    pecanchunks.jpg
    <p />thirdeye, Pecan for the lo and slo cooks....

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Lizard Dragger,[p]Tabasco Wood Chips? Whazzat?
  • Lizard Dragger
    Options
    Haggis,[p] Just got them in the mail yesterday with the other wood from www.outdoorhome.com. They are made from the oak barrels that Tabasco is aged in, I am a Tabasco freak so I had to try them. Will be trying them soon when I get my egg, I'll let you know how they are. I also saw them on www.tabasco.com.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    persimmonwood.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    Persimmon wood used in a couple of ham cooks. it worked pretty good. Tom

• thirdeye
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Youza! youza! youza![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    2004_0111Image0002.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    no wood pics here, how about anthracite, i think im the only egger to have lit the egg with coal, i could be wrong. i remember reading that some of the first pizza places in newyork used coal to cook their pizza, might be interesting to cook a pizza with a little coal for flavor

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]Do you leave it outdoors?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Duckegg,
    Sorry no wood, it did have a nice spicey bark though.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I have so far. Do I need to keep it covered? I was told when its covered it will mold. Thanks, Tom

• thirdeye
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]I have small bins in the garage and some boxes in a storage shed and it stays in great shape. [p]My fireplace wood on the other hand is stacked outside and I will get some slight rot and of course bugs love to play in there.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• 4509493377.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,[p]Seasoning my wood.[p]Aloha![p]greg
  • The Virginian
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    One of my all-time faves! [p]Brett

• Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]No wood related pictures, but I can share my belated Christmas package that arrived this week. After sharing awesome lamb loin chops, Mad Max turkey, and beef fajitas off the Egg to my brother at Thanksgiving, he came through big time in supplementing my Eggcessories. Unfortuantely UPS lost the package for a month, but good things come to those who wait.[p]Big Bro - "I love you man"[p]BGE003.jpg
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    BrettTechnique.jpg
    <p />... splitting wood. [p]Just look at that technique![p][p]

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    Moepics002.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    a 5 gallon bucket of PECAN courtesy of a co-worker[p]I got a cherry tree in the backyard, gonna trim some limbs soon

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    he is a he-man isn't he!! . .this is why i feel safe in the neighborhood :-)

• Metalhead, How big are those chunks ? When you use them for ribs or chicken -how many do you put in and where do you place them ?[p]Merci buckets