Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tough baby backs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi
I've had my egg for about 3 months and have been cooking on it quite a bit and am having great results....except with baby backs. I'm using a plate setter and am cooking them at 250 degrees(2.5-5 hours). They rarely "fall off the bone" and when I've tried cooking them longer they become overdone.
Any suggestions for better ribs?
Thanks

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    cobia1966,
    run your knife at the bone and get the "membrane" off it is much easier than it sounds, no special tools just use your hands. that my help also get a spray bottle fill with apple juice and squirt every hour adfter the first hour.
    HTH
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Irish Smoker
    Options
    cobia1966,
    I'm sure you've already thought of this, but are you removing the membrane from the back of the ribs first? That by itself will make it tough.
    I have been using the 3-2-1 method lately with great success. 3 hours indirect at 250, 2 hours wrapped in foil at 250, one hour direct at 250. I baste with sauce for the last 1/2 hour or so. The 2 hours in the foil really makes them tender and FOTB. Wouldn't work for a competition, but my guests seem to love them.

• Irish Smoker,
    I am removing the membrane but I've not tried the foil.
    After you take them out of the foil and cook with indirect heat, how do you know when they are done?
    Thanks

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    cobia1966,[p]when they come out of the foil, be careful how you handle them, they tend to literally fall apart, the meat falling off the bone. The hour after the foil as a rule of thumb - take them to the desired consistency- the longer the firmer. At about a half hour they are still super tender.
  • Woody54,
    Thanks for the information, it sounds great. I cant wait to try it this weekend.

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    cobia1966,
    I cook mine for about 3 hours at dome temp of about 275, then after 3 hours i wrap each rack in heavy duty foil with a little apple juice in the bottom of the foil. put back on the egg for about an hour then i pull them out of the foil and put them back on the grill for about 30-45 min with sauce applied in last 15-20 min. this usually results in fall off the bone ribs. Others hear say they can get the same result by cooking indirect with no foil for about 5 hours but i have not tried this.

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    cobia1966,
    3-2-1 is for spares. For BBs, go with 2-2-1 or even 2-1-1.