Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Ups And Downs Of My Weekend

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
101_0351.jpg
<p />well it sure was a windy weekend here in upstate sc. i did ribs on sunday and decided to try something diffrent. i put the rain gear on the egg in the hopes of keeping the windy conditions out of the top of the egg. all in all i believed it worked (the photo is a older one i had taken enough pics and was told to stop)
Because i did fatties on friday night
101_0365.jpg
my mother came in for the first time to my new house and she is diabetick (sp) i asked about grilling eggplant and got some good advice from a few and metalhead asked for pics so i got this i salted them and waited thirty minuets washed them off and put them in a ziplock bag with some salad dressing
101_0372.jpg
i also fired up the small (just for fun)so i had to throw some asparagus on.
101_0379.jpg
i also spatchedcooked a chicken (no pic) it turned out very dry let me tell you why.
1 i cleaned the daisey wheel before i fired up large so they move alot easier after you clean the crud (sorry no better turm to use) that caused me to forget to set my wheel back!
2 i let it get to 500 deg
3 now here is where it gets me i read my temp gauge right when it said 190 in the thigh. but when i went to cut it up all the juices in the thigh were not clear they were pink and needless to say my mother does NOT eat pink juicy chicken!!! so i threw it back on until it was dry as the sahara:(
but things did get better saturday i also started on sunday's ribs
with a layer of mustard101_0369.jpg
my first time using such a contraption to hold rub on my ribs but it did work REAL well
101_0371.jpg
i wrapped them in plastic wrap and into the fridge overnight
next afternoong ready to go on egg with cherry wood
101_0380.jpg
now is when i went a little diffrent with some consultation from Car Wash Mike(thanks by the way)he does not foil his and i never lived the idea of protecting ribs from the egg.
so onto the rib rack. after an hour squirt with apple juice
101_0381.jpg
after another hour squirt with apple juice.
101_0383.jpg
during that hour i decided when i squirt again i will pull them out of rib rack.
101_0384.jpg
another hour and more apple juice
101_0385.jpg
wait 45 min them comes the sauce
101_0387.jpg
and i did this one for Rick's Tropical Delight he always takes those shots from counter level
101_0388.jpg
so all in all a pretty good weekend except for the chicken
i also work two auto auction's on Woosday so i can never get the chance so here is my Woosday photo's
happy eggin
tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    BENTE,[p]My wife gets very nervous when she sees any pink in any meat. The spatchcock I did this last weekend had pink around the bone and some in the muscle. The juices were slightly pink, but clear, and had no coagulation clumps. I had to assure her that I had taken its temp in several places, and they were all 170 when I took the bird out of the Egg. I tried to tell her that the pink is a reaction from the smoke. She seemed dubious. As I was cutting into the bird, I sliced one breast in half, and there was a brilliant pink line through it. As it happened, that was the very first place I had tested the temperature, and after an hour of smoke seeping in, the muscle had turned red around the hole.[p]Nevertheless, I was told "Well, O.K., but if we die its your fault."[p]gdenby

• BENTE
    gdenby,
    yea well i can't argue with mom! it was very disturbing but i think i remember someone saying don't argue with temp's they dont lie but it looked squimish to me but someone also said sometimes when they freeze a chicken it does something chemically that makes it look like that but to make sure i didn't make anyone sick throw it back on
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    BENTE,
    hey thanks for the pics...I hope that the eggplant turned out well....it looked great[p]them ribs looked great also...I am definitely going to do some ribs next weekend[p]sorry about the chicken fiasco!!! I can be a little stubborn when it comes to chicken temps also, but I take readings w/multiple thermometer. I am learning to trust them

• BENTE
    Metalhead,
    well since i have never eaten eggplant i think i did pretty good on the taste they were delicious but stuck to the grid.
    thanks
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    gdenby,[p]But pink juices are not the same as pink meat, and one traditional test is to prick the bird to see if the juices run clear. That doesn't mean you have to wait even one half second longer, however!

• BENTE,
    I noticed that you mentioned working auto auctions at the end of your post. What do you do? I work for a auto transport company in Texas, and sales rep. at 2-3 auctions a week.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    gdenby,
    it has to do with the bird being frozen...[p]the only way to convince her is to have her google it and read the explanation from any of a wheelbarrow full of authoritative sources (not chat rooms).[p]marrow can leach into the muscle and color it, for another thing. pink deep down near the bone isn't from smoke. it's not death and bacterial soup either, but she won't believe you as long as the info comes from a chat room...[p]pink on the outside is from smoke. and i've yet to have anyone explain how something can be 'raw' (their words) when they see a pink ring on the outside, but done in the middle.[p]use the thermo. if it says done, it's done (assuming it's calibrated, of course).[p]good luck. trying to convince a wife of something is sometimes a futile effort!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BENTE
    Egghead Texan,
    i am a professional ringman. and the best way to explain it is watch the barrett-jackson auction on speed tv. the guy who is out in the crowd trying to get people to bid is a ringman. i work four auction's a week (one in leesville sc, on tuesday morning, one in greer sc, on tuesday night, one wednesday morning in anderson sc, and another thursday night in anderson sc (diffrent one though)). the diffrence with what i do and barrett jackson is they do a whole lotta high dollar ones they run about 20 cars an hour. i have worked a auction in charlotte and we ran 100 cars an hour. it is by far the BEST job ever.
    happy eggin and thanks for asking
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,
    I understand exactly what you do. I work as a sales rep. at 3 auto auctions in the Dallas area that sell cars just like your saying, 100 per hour per lane and up to 5000 sometimes per day. I got to witness the World Championship Auto Auctioneer contest at the Dallas/Ft.Worth Auto Auction this last year. Very interesting.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    BENTE,[p]good lookin' photo essay! Thanks for sharing![p]Chuck
  • BENTE,
    hey thanks! you know why i take all those counter top photos? it's because my camera swivels in the middle so i can see the display screen when standing up. i can point the lens in any direction and still see the screen. it's great for circle shots where i put the camera on the ground, rotate the lens 180 so it is pointing up, gather a bunch of friends in a circle around the camera, set the timer, and in 10 seconds, a perfect circle shot![p]evoo on any veggie (or anything else for that matter) will prevent sticking.[p]

• BENTE
    Egghead Texan,
    yea everyone is making plans for this year not me though.
    would rather make money than impress people(unless it is food except chicken LOL)
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    chuckls,
    i may have asked you did you finish that corvette looks like a 65
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    i guess that's why my pics look like sh*& next to yours. heck i am luck to have the egg/camera/computor combo!! haha
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,
    *L* some of those on this post are great![p]you should see some of the pix of mine that do not make the cut. i'm taking about 50 photos per cook just to get a few decent shots. my big green egg photo directory on my computer has 2,503 files in it since the end of september.[p]*needs counseling*

• chuckls
    BENTE,[p]Funny you should ask! I was just visiting my car (in two places!) today! [p]I'm doing a body-off (it's a '66); the frame is being straightened at a shop in Loveland, and the body is being glassed at the restoration shop. I watched Barrett-Jackson on Speed TV all last week, and saw some beautiful mid-year Corvettes go by.[p]Check back with me in July - that's when I expect it to be done![p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Hey I like all your pictures. You only need to start worrying when the forum guys say "you need to get a life", like after I these shots![p]:) Chuck
    [ul][li]WGC Returns![/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    BENTE,
    Looks like a fine weekend. Chicken will get better. Ribs are looking goooooooooood. I'm cooking 6 slabs and a brisket for my nephews 8th grade FB Team for the Super Bowl.[p]Mike

• chuckls,
    *LOL*[p]*more normal than i thought*

• BENTE
    chuckls,
    yea i feel like giving a eulogy i wish i could get come competetion blend!!!!!
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    chuckls,
    my father has a 63 split window i wish he would go ahead and do a frame off so i don't eventually have to do it
    keep me posted with pics
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Car Wash Mike,
    how will you arrange them on the egg. as you can tell i went back and forth with three
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    gdribs01.jpg
    <p />BENTE,
    I start and finish with all three laying down. Look how big my drip pan is. I have to fold down the edges to fit on the plate setter.[p]Mike

• BENTE
    Car Wash Mike,
    so did i. i believe it is the reason i maintained a lower temp easier that and the rain cap. i also ran out of the dp. no worries i just ordered more.
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb