Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Tri-Tip???

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've largely ignored the subject of tri-tips over the years being that they just weren't readily available around here. Found one last night and it followed me home so now I need to know the best way to cook one. Thanks in advance for any ideas.[p]Cheers,
Sean

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Citizen Q, I like doing mine slow @250 dome to 125 internal, then rest it while the Egg comes to sear temps, then sear. I never had a bad one.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    IMG_0488.jpg
    <p />Citizen Q,
    I like to season my tri tips with S&P and garlic salt. Grill at around 450 to an internal temp around 135/140. Make sure to slice thin across the grain. Good luck, Tom

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    I have tried the method at the link several times and like it.[p]I also use the following basting sauce and serve with this salsa.
    Basting Sauce[p] ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil[p] Drizzle oil slowly into vinegar, whisking rapidly. Brush on meat as soon as you put it
    on the grill.[p]
    Santa Maria-Style Salsa[p] 3 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
    ½ cup finely chopped celery
    ½ cup chopped green onions
    ½ chopped sweet onion
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ cup finely chopped California green chiles
    ½ cup snipped cilantro
    1 Tbl. red wine vinegar
    dash of Worcestershire sauce
    pinch of dried oregano, crushed
    few drops of hot pepper sauce[p] Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and let stand for one hour to blend flavors.
    Makes 3-½ cups.[p]
    Bob

[ul][li]Santa Maria Style[/ul]
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Here's a link to the way I prepared it for last year's Eggs-by-the-Bay Fest. I cooked 8 of them and not one person complained.

[ul][li]Morro Bay Rich's Santa Maria Tri-tip Recipe[/ul]