Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trivet????

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I look for a trivet or drain grate to replace the ceramic fire grate, does it matter if it has holes or slots???????
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    gratesm.jpg
    <p />New Bob,
    Should not matter too much. You just want small enough holes so the lump doesn't fall thru too fast. What does fall thru still burns and the heat goes up, so even that wouldn't matter to much as well. [p]Steel scren mesh works well too.[p]Tim

• Bordello
    Tim M,[p]The picture helps a heap. Not more to say except, "Thanks".
    New Bob

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Large_grate.jpg
    <p />Tim M,[p]Iv'e been experimenting with a new fire grate I welded together. I was thinking that maybe, one of the reasons the egg gets up to turbo temps better than other days is the amount of marble sized lump that is setting on the fire grate blocking a good air flow. I have been using the 1/2 inch expanded metal and sometimes it doesn't want to climb to 700. I used 1/4 inch steel pencil rod to put this together with one half inch clearance between the bars. The idea is, when stirred before the high temp cook, the very small peices fall thru and leave only the larger chunks of lump. It works very well as I can hit 600-700 every time. The only drawback is the amount of lump that needs to be raked out the lower vent door.[p]I'll probably play with this a while and then go back to the ceramic fire grate like I usually do.[p]Carl T

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    grate2.jpg
    <p />Carl T,
    Nice - I always wished I had bought that Lincoln arc welder when I had the chance. Nice job, but I can't help think that there is now too much open space in your design. Maybe if you used larger stock or spaced closer.[p]Here is a picture of the ceramic original, and the Lodge trivet for comparison. I never have had a problem with not reaching 700 as long as I had enough fuel for it in the firebox. [p]Keep welding.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's BGE world[/ul]
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    New Bob,
    I must be the exception here, but I use the lodge trivet
    in my BGE and the only problem I ever have is keeping the
    temperature down to 700 for steaks. If I leave the top and
    bottom wide open I can easily hit 1100-1200 degrees every time. This is using BGE lump or Royal Oak. I light the fire from underneath the grate using 3 chunks of Home Depot fire starter (about 1 inch cubes). Try that mehod and see what happens.[p]Chuck

• Bordello
    GaDawg,
    Thanks, I have ordered the lodge trivet. Are you using a thermometer that goes to the real high temps.???? If so, who makes it.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    New Bob ,
    I have the old thermometer from BGE, from before the
    one that you hear complaints about. My BGE will go
    to very high temps. It did so with the ceramic grate
    too. Clean out your egg really well, make sure the vents are aligned, new lump, top and bottom wide open, and you
    won't be able to stay under 1000 degrees. E-mail me if want more info.[p]Chuck