Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini egg low temp cooking

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all.
Need some advice on low temperature cooking with my new mini egg.
On my Large egg I use the daisy wheel and vent on bottom to keep the temp. down to 200-225 F for butts/jerky/ribs.
Other than closing down bottom vent on mini to 1/8-1/4 inch, how does one keep the temp. down to the 200 F range?
The ceramic top? how?
Is there a daisy wheel or equivalent for the mini?
Thanks.[p]Dave A.

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Dave A.,[p]I'm very new to mini Egg cooking as I've used mine just twice so far. I was able to keep the temp below 250 on my second cook by leaving the bottom vent cracked and by placing a piece of tin foil partially over the top of the chimney. The purpose of this was to simulate a poor man's slide top. Instead of high quality metal, though, you're simply using tin foil to restrict the size of the opening at the chimney. I plan on using this setup again as it is extremely cheap and it seemed to work well the first time I tried it. I've heard of others placing a fire brick on the chimney to partially cover the hole and restrict the amount of airflow coming out of the chimney. Whatever works....[p]Cornfed
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Dave A., I actually made a daisy top out of a large tuna can and a jar lid. Pop riveted together, I drilled 6 holes so that I could twist to reveal/cover the holes. It does get real hot but it seems to work.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Dave A.,[p]I've had my small for about a year. I love it and have tried to do a L-n-S cook once (althought, I'm not sure why)!
    I find the mini is best for steaks, burgers and the like. I suggest using your large (as temp controle over time on a mini is a challenge). Space is better too![p]That being said, it can be done and with good results! Someone (bdavidson??, MikeO??, my mind is going) did some GREAT ribs at the last Eggtoberfest![p]Smokey

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    View?u=1596942&a=12253680&p=44642288
    <p />Here's a Picture

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Smokey,
    I will stand up and take credit for the Eggtoberfest Jerked Babyback Ribs on the Mini. I simply use the daisy wheel for my Small BGE. It is loose, but it works. I am pretty sure that earl and I were the only ones cooking on Minis at Eggtoberfest. He was cooking steaks and I did ribs.[p]To get a tighter fit, you can wrap the inside of the daisy wheel with extra gasket felt.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    you are a wise one indeed.
    Nice work. Maybe you and YB can both come up and be my neighbors!
    happy spring...or summer.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ