Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cook

Options
AZ Traveler
AZ Traveler Posts: 664
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on doing a 6# flat tomorrow and would appreciate all the tips and assistance I can get. Temps, approximate time, foil???, not to foil???
Turbanado sugar, etc... Thanks, AZ

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    Doing one myself! I'll probably hold the grid temp around 230 until I reach 195 to 200 internal. Should take around 12 to 14 hours. Coated with mustard and my favorite home made rub and in the fridge. You can shorten the time by foiling at the end of the plateau, around 165, then raising the dome temp to 275. The bark won't be as good but it will be tender. Still let it cook to at least 195 and then let it rest in a cooler for no less than an hour.

• Grillicious
    Options
    AZ Traveler, ok here's my take, and you're probably going to get a log of feedback...all good. Cook it low, 220* - 235* grid temp. If you don't have a remote thermometer and are going by the dome temp, 250* in my large = about 230*-235* grid temp. Time isn't hard a fast. Some say a rule of thumb is 1½ hrs per lb, others say 2 hrs per lb. The truth is every cut of meat is different, and every cook can vary. Last weekend I cooked a 10lb flat at 235* that was done (195* internal and fork tender) in 9 hrs. Another previous cook was a 10½ lb packer cut that took 18 hrs. You never now.[p]If this is you first brisket check out the Naked Whiz's tutorial for some good tips.

[ul][li]TNW's Brisket Hints and Tips[/ul]
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Grillicious, almost forgot foiling. As ronbeaux said you can shorten the final cook time by foiling when it comes out of the plateau. I don't, I just let it keep cooking slowly. You will want to wrap in foil and put it in an ice chest packed with towels for at least an hour after removing it from the egg. I usually leave it in 2 hrs.[p]Cheers

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    Me too! Going to put on an 11 pound "packer", I am thinking around 4 p.m. to have it ready tomorrow evening. Any one chiming in, do all these guidelines apply to a large cut also? I tried a point end once that was pretty lean to start with and it came out real dry. Hoping this "whole hunk", with some of the external fat trimmed off, will turn out better. Thanks

• Grillicious
    Options
    Grillicious, and the rub...I used to smear with mustard first, but I don't anymore. If it needs any help sticking I use a little bit of OO. The rub is Dizzy Pig Cowlick mixed 50/50 with turbinado sugar and put it in the fridge overnight. Before cooking I hit it again with some more rub. Then put it on and forget it...no peeking.[p]Sorry for the forgetful thread.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    AZ Traveler,[p]I usually buy the cryovac from Costco. About 7-9 pounds. Plan for around 2 hours pound. I take out so it is room temp by the time the egg is ready. Cook dome between 250-275 until brisket is almost 200 degrees. Cover with mustard and then favorite rub. Drip pan indirect. Fat side up (see thread a day or two ago about this. Your choice). Put in egg and dont look at until it is done.
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    Thank you, that helps a ton. AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    orion11,
    Thank you for your tips. Please post your results and pics. Maybe I'll try a packer one day soon. Thanks, AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Grillicious,
    Thank you for the tips. I was thinking along those lines. Will post pics of each step. Thanks Again, AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Ron, thanks for all the tips. I was wanting to try mustard. I did ribs this week trying it out. Do I put a light or heavy coating of mustard? A heavy coat of rub or light? Thanks for your help and also for the pics you post. AZ

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    orion11,
    I have found that the whole packer turns out so much better than just the point. I think you are right that the fat content makes a big difference. I have always been sort of disappointed in just the point cooked alone but the whole packers have been great.

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    Where you at sir? Thinking you posted earlier that you were out in Fountain Hills? We're down in Ahwatukee, east of chandler off Warner Road. Beautiful weather eh? Almost hate to post a picture from outside today, I'm sure some fellow eggers had to shovel some of the white stuff today, eh?

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    ugavet,
    I know that was to orion11 but I appreciate the tip as well. After I get through this one I will start working on a packer as well. Thanks for you input. AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    orion11,
    I'm at the end of the state. North end as far as you can go. I'm in Page above the Grand Canyon. Yes, I'm sure your weather was nice because we had a beautiful day, mid 40's.
    Have a nice evening. AZ

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    AZ Traveler,[p]Good luck - I have cooked my first two this year and both were great. The weblink below gives my guideline on my (pretty pitiful) web page.[p]Here is my favorite Rub (JerryD's Butt Rub):
    2 tbsp Spicy Somked Spanish Paprika
    1 tbsp Cumin
    2 tbs Brown Sugar
    2 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
    1/2 tsp Ancho Chili Powder
    2 tsp Garlic
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1/2 tsp dried Cilantro
    Kosher Salt to taste (I use about 1 tbsp)[p]Mix in Bowl with clean dry fingers.
    add whatever else you think tastes good (This is just a guideline).[p]Note - I don't spread yellow mustard on a brisket before the rub like I do w/a boston butt/pork roast.[p]Cheers

[ul][li]JerryD's Favorite Brisket[/ul]
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    Sorry, I cooked this and then fell asleep:

ribeyefriday003.jpg[p]
    [p]I use a light coat of mustard and a medium coat of rub. Here is one that's been in the fridge going on today.[p]

ribeyefriday005.jpg[p]
    [p]I'll probably sprinkle it again right before putting it on. My rub is pretty basic and similar to the ones posted in the recipe section here. Put it on cold and mix in wood chips in the lump so it gets a little smoke all day. [p]Good luck!!

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Here is my bread. [p]IMG_0461.jpg[p]IMG_0462-1.jpg[p]IMG_0463.jpg[p]I try to let it cool a little before cutting but my wife is sneaky. I think she has the cole slaw out to go with the brisket. Enjoy. AZ