Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

deck protectors under egg?????

Options
fyrcat
fyrcat Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband and I are in the fire service and very concerned about burning up our home(He is the fire chief-wouldn't look good). Does any one use their egg on their wood decks, if so do you use a protector pad under the lower grate???? I purchased one because of the potential-has any one had problems with fire on their decks????

Comments

• FV-Egger
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]While I haven't had my egg as long as many here, I do have it on a wooden deck, in a nest. Even "worse", the deck has that nasty cheap astro-turf. I haven't had any issues as of yet, nor do I really expect any, as long as I keep the screen portion of the vent closed. [p]I currently don't have one of those protectors, but I always have a fire extinguisher in the house just in case, not that I expect to have to use if due to something with the egg...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    fyrcat,
    folks report in from time to time about using those. Plan carefully where you place it though and expect to leave it there "forever". A few years back the complaints had surfaced that those protectors while good will encourage mildew and actually discolor your wood beyond repair.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]I don't have that issue since my house and patio are brick - my biggest concern is stepping on an ember, which has happed more than once in bare feet. However, there are occasional photos of damage caused by the heat of an Egg or embers from the vent. Someone (Naked Whiz?) has a photo of his table with severe heat damage, and Nature Boy's house was substantially damaged by an ember that blew from his driveway to his garage. I think your concern is well founded, whether or not the "deck protector" is the solution you decide upon.
  • Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]I have several "fire mats" that I use for my outdoor cooking area. There have been several instances in which I found hot embers on my deck and decided that these mats were a must. I have a smaller one that is just inside the door of the screen porch so when I am cooking on a rainy day I have a safe place to park the egg under cover. I don't recall what brand they were but they were around 30 bucks each I think.[p]JNK
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    fyrcat,
    I hose down my deck under the Egg before I start cooking and haven’t had any problems in 12 years of cooking on my wood deck. I also have my egg in a table, which helps catch some of the embers that occasionally come out. The only time I find any embers or “sparks” is during the initial lighting of fresh lump. That being said, the potential of a fire on your deck is always there so be careful. Popsicle

Willis Tx.
  • ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    fyrcat,[p]I use nothing under the egg. I have an Ipe deck which happens to be a wood that has a fire rating because it is so fire resistent. I have never had a problem but it is still early in egging. My lower vent does have a screen so I feel pretty safe.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    ab ovo,[p]Ipe is a great wood, dense, hard as can be, and somewhat oily, but don't think it won't burn! I gotta figure that's what some of those South American lump varieties include.
  • BikesBoardsnBBQ
    Options
    fyrcat,
    As a former fire service person, I was concerned not only with deck, but embers falling thru cracks into dry leaves below. I use a mat from Home Depot, and I usually pick it up when I wheel my egg into its box - after the fire is out. So, no moisture or deck discoloration problems.

• ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    Haggis,
    I don't doubt that Ipe burns, but its Fire Rating is Class A, the same rating given to concrete & steel. I am still probably going to get a mat.