Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner - Need help w/ Fish

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Purchased a large today and just finished a perfect batch of baby backs. I'd like to do fish tomorrow evening. Does anybody have suggestions on what and how to cook?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Kurt, I have done fish twice..once a salmon, a few days ago a pair of 5 lb. Walleye fillet. I need some improvements yet. What specifically are you wanting and someone will have a recipe for ya...
    Good luck...and have no fear..they can be done nicely.
    C~W[p]

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Kurt,[p] Kurt, can't help with fish to much, I scale them, then place on the grill with plain old salt and peper. The skin will help to protect the meat, just flip about every 2-3 mins untill done. This is how I cook them on the lake ice fishing. can't get any fresher than that.[p]Earl
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Kurt,
    I'm in a screamin' rush to get out of town this afternoon, so I can't write too much. Check the recipe section for some fish ideas. [p]I've had foolproof luck with putting a nice slab of salmon or steelhead trout on a rack over a drip pan with some water. The fish doesn't dry out. I've done direct without flipping, just keep the skin side down. Good sauces are endless; soy, dijon, bourbon, maple, Hellman's Balsamic Tangerine...just let your imagination take over. [p]I smoked a piece of steelhead trout this weekend. First, I covered the filet with salt and left it in the fridge for a day. Then I washed all the salt off thoroughly with cold water and left it uncovered in the fridge for a day to dry out. I Egged it on a rack over a pan of ice for about an hour and a half at a low temp; 250 and then closed down to dwell. I used cabernet chips. The result was the smoky, fairly dry, fairly salty smoked salmon you get at a gourmet shop. I served it on corn blinis with creme fraiche. Very happy family, no leftovers. No calories. Yeah.[p]Cheers and have fun!
    Gretl

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Kurt,
    Like CW, I was waiting on more info from you on what type of fish you plan on cooking. [p]For salmon and trout or steelhead, they do very well with an indirect cook and a little smoke. See Gretl's Salmon Recipe under "new recipes" for one idea. Also Mickey T's Xmas Salmon in new recipes. There are a few other good fish recipes. Many of them under "new recipes"....many of which are not new.[p]With white filets, i like to make up a paste...for example lime juice, dijon mustard, or Mrs. Dog's, peanut oil, and a spice mixture (I like ginger, onion powder, corriander, green peppercorns and some cayenne....and maybe a little oregano or parsley or dill or the like.) Grill direct at 400-450 for 5 minutes a side until it flakes. I do it directly on the grid (make sure to use plenty of oil in the paste) and flip only once....gently. Use a fish basket if you aren't comfortable with doing it right on the grid.[p]Whole fish do nicely direct (at lower temps) or indirect. Some fruit and onions in the cavity is nice.[p]Keep us posted on what you do, or if you have a specific fish in mind.
    cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Can you please detail one or two of your recommended pastes. I’m making the fish for my wife so I would prefer not to experiment with how much of each ingredient. I’m going to get the freshest white fish my local grocery store has on the way home.
    Thanks,

• Nature Boy
    Kurt,
    I usually eyeball it, but as an estimate for maybe 2 one-pound filets.[p]Juice from half a lime (or a tbsp or so of Hellmans Citrus Splash), 1 tbsp yellow mustard, 1 tsp dijon, at least 1 tbsp peanut oil, and a tbsp or so of a spice mixture.[p]For the spice mixture, use one with some salt, or add salt to taste. I usually mix up 1tsp corriander (ground fresh from the seeds), 1 tsp ginger powder (or Penzey's cracked ginger is better if you grind it yourself), 1 tsp (or to taste) fresh ground green peppercorns (any peppercorns okay, but the green are a bit milder for fish), 1 tsp onion powder, and maybe a 1/2 tsp of the herb of your choice.[p]Mix it up into a paste and slather it all over the filets. Let sit for no longer than an hour, then grill.[p]That is an example of something simple that works great. Sometimes I will even use Prudhommes Seafood Magic, or another seafood seasoning in the paste. Or some cajun seasoning. [p]If you like it simple, some fresh herbs and olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper, and you are rolling.[p]Hope that helps a tad.
    Great day here in Northern Virginny today. We hit 80.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Actually we hit 90 today. Weird stuff. No 70 degree days yet this year, and all of the sudden we are at 90![p]Let us know what you do with the fish.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com