Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Competition Questions

Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This year my family discussed getting into a couple small town BBQ competitions. I have a few questions about the KCBS rules I was hoping to get some help on.[p]1. Do you have to cook all four meats (pork, ribs, brisket, chicken)?
2. Do you have to use your own rubs or can you use commercial ones?
3. Same with the sauce. Yours or your favorite over the counter?
4. Do you buy meat from the event or take with you?
5. Anything else I need to know?[p]Thanks a lot.

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p]1. You don't have to cook all categories but if you want to win Grand Champion, you really should.
    2. You can use your own rubs, commercial rubs, both or just salt and pepper.
    3. Same as above.
    4. Bring the meat with you.
    5. Man, that's a loaded question. There's a list of all the stuff you will need to make your competiton go as smoothly as possible floating around the internet somewhere... I'll see if I can find it and post it for you. It will help a lot.[p]John

• WooDoggies
    The address below will take you a very good competition check list.[p]http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/checklist.doc[p]The link below will take you to the KCBS site where you can review all of the rules, upcoming comps and all things bbq.[p]Good luck....it's a lot of fun and addicting![p]john
    [ul][li]KCBS Site[/ul]
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    WooDoggies has given you some excellent advice. The only thing I would add is that you do two full practice cooks at home in the weeks leading up to your first contest. Pack all the stuff from your checklist, and see if you can do all the cooking with just that stuff. If you have to use anything else, ADD IT TO YOUR CHECKLIST IMMEDIATELY! You'll be shocked how much stuff you need to take with you for a contest.[p]Also, if you'll be doing your meat prep outside (like those of us who don't have the big bucks to buy an RV) during the contest, then you should practice doing it the same way at home. You'll be forced to figure out how to deal with such mundane things as wind, which blows your paper towels and aluminum foil all over the place! Better to figure this stuff out at home without the pressure of a contest.[p]Also, try having your different entries ready at the exact turn-in times that you'll do at a contest. Thirty minutes may seem like a lot of time between meats, but you'll be surprised just how hectic it gets. (The time between chicken and rib turn-in seems to be the worst for me.)[p]Hope that helps!
    Mike

• WooDoggies,
    thanks a bunch!!!!

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    WooDoggies,[p]Good information Woo, would just add one thing to #1 and its semantics but if you have not competed, it may make a difference.[p]1 - You say if you want to win GC you "should" cook all four and I would correct it to say you HAVE TO, under KCBS rules, cook all 4 categories to win GC.[p]Again, its semantics and you and other competitors know what you mean, but if you have not competed and are not familair with KCBS rules, it can be interpreted differently or incorrectly.[p]Troy
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    WooDoggies, I have sunscreen & toilet paper on my list as well. Nothing like a porta potty with no TP when you really need it! JCA

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Buster Dog BBQ,all that;s been said is good. Go to win but don't be let down by results. If you can take a class that covers contest cooking it will be the best money spent if you really want to compete. You will find most folks at a contest will be a great help and give you a lot of help and info. After one contest my wife became a bigger and better compitetor than me. We have alot of fun and have mae a great crowd of cooking friends.[p]Good Luck and Good Eggin'
    Poppasam

• Buster Dog BBQ,[p]If you are serious about competing...doing all catagories is a must for your learning experience in my opinion. Better to try and fail but feel the true weight of the competition grind if you will.
    Another thing that a new competitor must come to realize is the cost involved, not a cheap hobby.
    As John has mentioned, this is a fun and addictive thing you are playing with here, get your checkbook out and enjoy the ride.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    Another thing, many contests have a "Back Yard" category which might be a good place to start.
    The KCBS web site lists classes. Our own Dr. BBQ teaches, as do Paul Kirk, the Music City Pig Pals and many more.
    Have fun!
    Julie

• WooDoggies
    J Appledog,[p]The little comfort things do make a difference... stuff like an insulated mug to keep drinks hot or cold. Lots of water, sodas, juice to stay hydrated (besides the beer). A comfy pillow, a dry place to lay down and earplugs to drown out the din.
    String lights to evenly illuminate the work area.
    A good hygenic dish wash system. Plenty of hand towels, paper towels and latex gloves. Comfortable chairs. Goody's Powders.... a good sense of humor.... the list can go on and on.

• WooDoggies
    sprinter,[p]Very wisely put, Troy. It's best to completely familiarize yourself with the rules before competing.... thanks for clarifying! [p]john