Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork tenderloin dinner w/ pics

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to get back in the habit of making some quality egged meals again, for some reason lately we've have not been egging quite so much.[p]So I defrosted a 1.7 pound tenderloin and on it went last night with mustard and Dizzy Dust at about 330 dome temp. I let the dome drop to about 275 and let it sit there until the internal was 150 and pulled it. I foiled it and the internal went up to 153. [p]This is what it looked like after resting in foil for 10 minutes and the internal dropping back to 151...[p]pork%20tenderloin%20070125%20001.jpg[p]Sliced up real nice. You can see some juices running out, but believe me most of it was still in the meat.[p]pork%20tenderloin%20070125%20003.jpg[p]Then we had some left over garbonzo beans cooked with pumpkin and ham hocks, these are outrageously delicious. I could have used some greens, but we were in a rush to get out of the house.[p]
pork%20tenderloin%20070125%20005.jpg

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    egghead2004,
    looks nice and moist. i find it nearly impossible to overcook (and dry out) pork on the egg, even relatively 'drier' (less fatty) cuts like the tenderloin. do you foil because you want to retain moisture, or because you don't want a sear or too much smoke?[p]i think with a short cook like that you could go direct, get a little crust, and not worry at all about drying out. pulling it at 145 and letting it rest five minutes might also get you to the magic 150 number, if that's where you want to be. [p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • egghead2004
    Options
    stike,
    No no, I cooked it indirect with no foil. I foiled it as I pulled it out and let it rest for a few minutes so all the juices don't run when slicing. These things cool off too quickly for me if I don't foil after I pull them.[p]I'll try it direct next time to get som bark, but do you roll it over at all for an even bark?[p]As for pulling it at 145, I'm slowly trying to get there. My wife is from the cook it to death family. You know, those who cook prime rib @ 150, chicken @ 200, and pork @175. [p]

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    egghead2004,
    I cook those direct, doing a quarter turn eveyr 10 minutes at 350 dome. Usually done after 3 turns at 145 internal temp. -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    egghead2004,
    i have a horrible confession...
    i rarely do pork tenderloin on the egg anymore. we found a great 'inside' dish we can do with them where i can cook at the stove and hang out inside the kitchen with the wife/guests.[p]basically create a tied roll with crushed pistachios filling, some butter. then pan sear, add some olive oil and fresh herbs to the pan, cream, salt, pepper, etc. which i spoon over the pork til it's at temp. [p]nice and quick.
    ...not that i don't love them on the egg.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    AZRP,[p] You just like hanging out with your Egg.