Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Baby Back Help

edited 10:16PM in EggHead Forum
I am doing some ribs for a big party my friend is having this weekend. (In Tampa we take a day to celebrate a mythical pirate invasion of the city and call it Gasparilla) Outdoor party along the parade route w/ lots of food and I thought baby backs might be a better choice for the occasion. I am pretty confident w/ spare ribs using the 3-1-1 method at 230 degrees. However, I have never done baby backs in my XL and wondering about adjustments I need to make on time, temperture, technique plus any general advice. Thanks in advance.

• Liledblues,
    I think you'll find BB don't take quite as long spares. I typically go about 4 hours or so.(each rack is different of course) I use an shorten 3-1-1. More like a 2-1-45min to 1. Same temp. though. Try tweakin' it yourself and see what you like. That is the best part about the egg!![p]Wobbly pops to ya,

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Have fun. I will be hiding in Odessa on Sat. Unless you have a house to be at, its a zoo over there.

• chucklschuckls Posts: 399
    Liledblues,[p]I don't have experience with the XL, but I just cooked BB ribs lately in 15 degree weather. Instead of the usual 5-6 hours, they took 7! I think maybe it's because the egg cooled off quite a bit when I opened it for spritzing the ribs.[p]Moral of the story - don't take them off until they're done!![p]Chuck
  • HungryMan,
    You couldn't drag me down there if I didn't have a nice place to crash. Even so I wish there were a game to watch instead of a parade (though it can get interesting). Thanks to all for the comments. I guess I'll just need to watch them. I didn't want to find out after the fact they usually only need 2 hours. Still, the Egg makes it hard to mess up. I'll make a report. Thanks again.