Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traditional Turkey on the EGG

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How would you (anyone willing to advise) smoke a medium sized turkey on the EGG. I prefer the traditional flavor and texture. My question is asking prep, smoke time, temp, marination, additional wood chips if any, or any other brilliant ideas. Basically I have no clue what to do with a Turkey:) Thanks for any advise

Comments

• ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    fr8tdog11,[p]You need to consult the turkey cooking bible
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

• Shilomare
    Shilomare Posts: 103
    Options
    fr8tdog11,[p]
    I used the mad max method of thanksgiving turkey with a 16 lb turkey on my LGE. It was the BEST turkey ever![p]You are in for a treat...note well the ice bag on the breast hint, turkey's that is![p]

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Banker John
    Options
    fr8tdog11,
    The other posts referenced the Mad Max turkey. I have not tried it so I cannot comment. Here is an alternative.[p]I use Turky breasts intead of the whole bird. I inject the bord with Cajun Injector, Creole Butter and let the bird rest for an hour while I start the egg and stabilize at 325 indirect.[p]Once the egg is stabilized, I sprinkle the skin lightly with paprika, pepper and salt. I put the breast on with a polder inserted into the meat. I set the polder to chime at 145 at which point, I begin basting/slathering parkey squeeze butter on the skin (this gives a real nice golden brown skin). I reset the polder for 163 and when the breast reaches the 163, I pull the breast and wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil, doubled or tripled, then place it in a small igloo cooler for 15-30 minutes while the rest of the fixins get prepared and tabled.[p]I have tried wood while cooking the turkey and after trying several birds with different levels of smoke, I prefer just lump charcoal and 1 hickory nut. Be careful with the smoke on a turkey.[p]Good luck and please let us know how you decide to prepare it and the results.[p]Banker John

• Thanks for the response guys!![p]